Untanglit

Default Best Practices - Switch Untagle from Bridged Mode to Router Mode

Hi,

I am wanting to replace my current Sonicwall firewall with my Untangle box that is currently in bridged mode behind the Sonicwall. Would I be better off doing a backup and reinstalling UT from scratch? Can I pull the current UT and place it on the LAN and configure it and then switch the firewalls out?

One other thing... if I backup my current settings in bridged mode and then reinstall from scratch in router mode, can I restore the settings to the new install?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
    Last edited by jerick70; 12-16-2009 at 11:44 AM.

You can simply reconfigure the box to be honest.

Bridge mode defines the external interface as static, and internal as bridged to external. It also disables DHCP and DNS by default.

To convert a box from Bridge mode to router is simply reconfiguring both the Internal and External interfaces appropriately.

External will be configured either DHCP or static based on what you need to connect with your ISP. Internal will be static and assigned to be appropriate to the LAN segment you're connecting to. In your case it would probably make things easier if your LAN interface was configured with the same lan IP address your sonicwall used. That way your LAN gateway address doesn't change.

From there you're now free to enable the DNS service and the DHCP service if needed, both of these services are turned on and off by a checkbox in their respective tabs.

The rack operates completely independently of the base networking configuration. This process is why, you can easily manipulate untangle into router or bridge mode on the fly, heck you can run an Untangle server with both a router and bridges going at the same time.

If you want the warm fuzzy from the wizard setup just use the reset to factory default option in the recovery tools available on the console. On the next reboot untangle will run through the initial setup wizard again. All settings will be gone, but installing the modules will take less time as they are already downloaded.

Restoring your backup configuration will revert the unit back to a bridge. Those configurations are part of the restoration process.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

At home, I just switched the UT from bridge to router. It was as simple as sky-knight described. I just had to release the IP addresses on the computers so I renumbered the internal network address space.

Untanglit

Thanks Sky-knight and jcoffin.

I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

also certain ISP and devices marry the mac address. You might need to power cycle the WAN connection or call your ISP to release it.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Hi again. After doing the change over I am not able to pass any traffic through Untangle. I have an external connection to the Internet. Any ideas? Here is my layout...

CPE -> Switch -> Untangle -> Switch with static route to Untangle (This is my gateway for my LAN computers) -> LAN

We need a pile more information to even attempt to help... you've essentially just posted "it's broke" and "please fix it for me".

How is Untangle Configured? What did you do to get it to where it is?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Hi sky-knight,

LOL.... Yeah you right. Here is more info...

I removed the old firewall from the network. I did as you said and changed the interfaces. The external is now static with the public IP that the old firewall was using. The internal was changed to static and I switched it to the internal IP that the old firewall was using. I am using an HP Procurve 3500yl as my gateway, so all internal nodes are pointed this as a gateway. I then have a static route to the IP of the the Untangle box from the Procurve switch.

I can get to the internet from UT but I can not get to the internet from any node within my LAN.

I also reset UT to default and setup from scratch.

Is this enough info?

Jeff

Did you put a static route into Untangle to route the traffic back? Routing is kinda a two way street.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Hey sky-knight,

Jeff bangs his head against the wall... I didn't put routes in untangle. I did get this working without routes in Untangle, though it took forever to come up. I think if I add routes this will fix my issue with 1:1 NAT too and this issue. See I just needed another pair of eyes to look at it. Thanks for your help on this. I will post back what worked.

Jeff