Untangler

Default How often do you reboot your UT device?

Just gathering info as I have one particular apliance out in production I have to reboot atleast once (1) a week due to constant slow connection or hanging and I have another one that hasnt been reboted since initial deployment 167 Days of uptime!!!

The two units are identical from hardware down to patches and modules. I have ran some hardware diagnostic on the once a week reboot box and couldnt find any issues. I'm thinking of just wiping and rebuilding but the subscription transfer I hear can be a PITA to migrate?

What other things should I look for?

Thanks!

Attack blocker, check your reputation scores. You have a sick computer that is sucking up resources.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I have many UT deployments at clients.....rebooting done only when doing UT version upgrades.

The only exception being once at a client when the internet was down, power cycled the modem, no luck..power cycled UT, no luck..shortly after found out the ISP had a brief outage..so I really rebooted that clients UT for no reason.

And honestly I run UT on what many people here would consider way underspec'd hardware...I commonly use business grade desktop PCs such as Compaq Evo/HP Business Desktop DC series, or Dell Optiplex GX 240/260/280 desktops...most of which are early generation Pentium H/T with just 1 gig of RAM, decent sized networks of 25 - 50 - 70 PCs on 10 and 20 meg internet pipes with busy Exchange servers too. Rock solid!

Untangler

Right now only the essential modules are installed (i.e. AD and Policy manager, Web Filter, Spam Blocker, Reporting, Virus Blocker, and Spyware) nothing suspicious shows up on any logs. CPU hovers around 1% most of the day and this is on a 20 user office with average internet usage.

I had to reboot the box again this morning as users were complaining of slow internet speed. After reboot speed was back to normal?

This is getting frustrating....

So far I have ran diagnostic on hardware components which came out ok. swapped out NIC with new identical and with same results. I have few of this same setup (hardware) out on field and they are just chugging along no issues whatsoever.

Attack Blocker *is* essential.

Please install it, and start watching the reputation scores.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Attack Blocker *is* essential.
    Yep. I wouldn't run any site without it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Ok I just went and re-installed "Attack Blocker" and right off the bat I have a node racking up a score in the range of 138 to 248!!!?? Does this score look suspicious? This box is a normal workstation and compared to other scores it's 4x higher!?

I'll run a remote scan on it just to make sure it is not infected and i'll report back my findings shortly.

Thanks!

BING BING! we have a winner!
    NexgenAppliances.com