Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mdh

If it was a router and backwards, the problem would have been very obvious. As a bridge, most traffic still flows if its cabled backwards. The problem is when Web Filter, Phish Filter, etc. trigger and traffic is redirected. When its backwards, it gets redirected into a "black hole." It can spit out the text for the page but doesn't have a functional URL to build the whole page. Sometimes people connect them backwards. Sometimes they change NIC assignments and mess it up. Sometimes a power glitch causes it. Sometimes an upgrade reassigns NIC functionality. It wants to assign in order of MAC address, and if your assignments match the order of MAC addresses, no problem. If you have a higher MAC address as your external, it could happen to you if you're in bridge mode. When we first figured it out, there was a lot of head scratching. I'm not sure its fully understood. If it is, they have more important things to do than describe it in detail, unfortunately.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    If it was a router and backwards, the problem would have been very obvious. As a bridge, most traffic still flows if its cabled backwards. The problem is when Web Filter, Phish Filter, etc. trigger and traffic is redirected. When its backwards, it gets redirected into a "black hole." It can spit out the text for the page but doesn't have a functional URL to build the whole page. Sometimes people connect them backwards. Sometimes they change NIC assignments and mess it up. Sometimes a power glitch causes it. Sometimes an upgrade reassigns NIC functionality. It wants to assign in order of MAC address, and if your assignments match the order of MAC addresses, no problem. If you have a higher MAC address as your external, it could happen to you if you're in bridge mode. When we first figured it out, there was a lot of head scratching. I'm not sure its fully understood. If it is, they have more important things to do than describe it in detail, unfortunately.
    I see. Thank you very much for such a complete answer. I greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

And to answer your earlier question... look at the post count and join date over to the left of mine and MDH's posts...

Anyone who's been around here for more than a month will know about the reversed bridge insanity. It's simply that common, we field probably 3 threads a month with that issue specifically. So the symptoms are pretty common and understood.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

mdh

Yup! Between me and you, somebody needs to whack our fingers with a ruler to make us shut up.

Yup! Between me and you, somebody needs to whack our fingers with a ruler to make us shut up.
    Hmm if you need a whack, then I think I need my fingers cut off. I'm 6 months younger than you and have twice your post count.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

mdh

Young pups need to learn to show some restraint. You tell all the secrets and nobody will want to talk to you anymore. They'll put you out to pasture, and there ain't no pastures near Phoenix.

Master Untangler

I like MDH, Webf00l, sky-knight, mostly i would say sky-knight is very active and when ever i have a problem i usually see him in my threads

LOVE YOU GUYS . Appreciate every bit you do in untangle forum

Merry chritmas from UAE

Regards,
    alhadi

mdh

I would probably be more active if I weren't banning 100+ spammers per day. I seem to be the only one doing it.

Master Untangler

I would probably be more active if I weren't banning 100+ spammers per day. I seem to be the only one doing it.
    Glad you're looking out for us!!
    Untangle can be addictive :D

Thanks for the tip - haven't run into that issue yet; all my UT units are routers; when they're backwards they simply don't work. Nevertheless, this is good to know, and after reading this thread I hope I won't forget.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast