Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default D510mo...

My Intel D510MO system is up and running on 7.2.0 Beta 1

2GB memory
    160GB 7200RPM 2.5 inch SATA HD, Sony SATA slim DVD drive
    $15 Realtek 8169 series PCI NIC

...and my Kill A Watt power meter says it's using 21 watts, with peaks up as high as 26!

--73 de K6RTM bob in sunny silicon valley

I also have a D510 mobo and the 7.2 (official now) drivers do not work. Untangle still seems to be using the 8169 Realtek driver when the onboard is clearly listed as 8111D.

I hope the next Untangle uses the correct driver because on power cycle you have to unplug the network cable and then re-insert it after reboot.

Master Untangler

I love the D510MO system board (has some issues with the D945GCLF2D GPU fans), works great for a home office, etc. None of the Untangle Releases support the onboard NIC (issue with the driver released in Debian Lenny which Untangle is still based on, 2.6.26). At least, 7.2 appears to be working better with getting drivers compiled than before. Here's what I have done (don't forget to startup in Video Safe Mode).

1) Install Untangle 7.20, switch External interface to the PCI based NIC (eth1) you installed instead of the eth0 default which is the onboard NIC.

2) Updated /etc/apt/sources.list to include the following two lines:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free

3) Get GCC, Make, Headers and Kernel required to recomplie the NIC drivers.

apt-get update
    apt-get install gcc make
    apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.26-1-untangle-686

ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.26-1-untangle-686 /usr/src/linux

4) Download latest r8168 driver, currently 8.018.00, from www.realtek.com.tw. I had to download this on another machine and then post it onto the web somewhere I could redownload it on the Untangle box, seemed like their website required Java to download.

5) Extract and build the driver.

tar -xvjf r8168-8.018.00.tar.bz2
    cd r8168-8.018.00
    sh autorun.sh

6) Check to see if it's been recognized.

lsmod | grep r8168

If r8168 does not show, do the following.

depmod -a
    modprobe r8168

7) Rebuild the boot images.

mv /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-untangle-686 /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-untangle-686.bak
    mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-untangle-686 2.6.26-1-untangle-686

8) Remove the lines added in 2) above and restart.

Whelp, today my Untangle D510 box failed. The onboard Realtek NIC just stopped working and even after I rebooted it would not come up. In fact, the Untangle server removed the interface.

Can anyone tell me if Untangle is doing anything to update drivers for this thing?

Drivers are not a function of untangle, rather a function of the linux kernel its using. I am told that 7.3 will have better driver support, but as always, this is no guarantee.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

[QUOTE=proactivens;101010]Drivers are not a function of untangle, rather a function of the linux kernel its using.QUOTE]

Hey Mr. Martin, thank you for your reply. Although that is 100% true, if I was UT I'd make sure that I was using a recent kernel to support the latest hardware. I know abundant hurdles abound in making kernel changes, so let's hope something happens fast.

This is where I remind people that Untangle welcomes contributions from developers.

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Building_the_Code
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Master Untangler

Well, this isn't a Untangle development effort from my point of view, any recent kernel will work, Untangle has to update their kernel, and problem solved.

Please do, D510MO it's a great tool for Gateways/Firewalls, even if I install a dual port nic from Intel, having the on-board nic working gives DMZ or other functionality, it would be greatly appreciated, and dual port nics aren't cheap.

=)

m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Master Untangler

I didn't knew the NIC support request process, I thought this thread was the request.
    I'll send an email the next time I have access to these systems, and invite anyone from this thread to do so.
    I already have 4x D510MO in production, does quantity counts?

xD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast