Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Unhappy [BUG][SOLVED] - Realtek 8111/8168B (rev 03) Gigabit NIC

I just bought an Intel D510MO motherboard which is equipped with Intel Atom D510 CPU and Realtek 8111/8168B (rev 03) PCI-E onboard gigabit network card. I then added another D-Link PCI gigabit network card for eth1.

When I install Untangle 7.10 (20091203r25213) at the Stage I, installation interface reports 2 NICs. However, when I go to Stage II (WebUI interface), I only got the D-Link network card as eth0.

Meanwhile, my onboard Realtek 8111/8168B cannot be activated since then, even I use Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD. The lights of the onboard network card becomes "green+green" instead of "orange+green".

I wasted a lot of time to make my onboard network card work. Finally, I found a solution, that is, I need to re-flash the BIOS of the motherboard and boot Ubuntu Live CD to make it work again (orange+green). It sounds strange.

I tried several time with the same result. Hope this problem can be fixed as soon as possible.

I think that it is a bug!
    Last edited by samiux; 01-01-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Master Untangler

I had issues with my windows home server and a realtek onboard 8169 gigabit LAN. Had to go with another chipset LAN card to make the server function correctly. I don't think that the realtek is a BUG, I think they're stuff has just taken a turn for the worst lately.
    Untangle can be addictive :D

Master Untangler

i wouldnt consider this a BUG either. rather consider realtek to be crap

Untangler

I compiled the Realtek 8168 driver for Untangle 7.1.

Now, the Untangle box can connect to the internet, download the modules (racks) without problem. However, the computers that behind the Untangle box cannot surf the internet.

I can ping all machines including Untangle box in the network. However, I try to ping yahoo.com and it produces the following error message :

ping: unknown host yahoo.com

Any idea?

Untangler

The problem is solved.

I loaded the old and new modules at the same time and caused the problem.

Untangler

Default Same problem

I also have the Intel D510 and the onboard NIC isn't working. You compiled the latest 8168 driver. How do you do this? I'm afraid my Linux skills are meager.

Default Another D510 install...

Quote Originally Posted by fangmdar View Post
    I also have the Intel D510 and the onboard NIC isn't working. You compiled the latest 8168 driver. How do you do this? I'm afraid my Linux skills are meager.
    Add me to the list of D510 mobos -- a plug in Realtek NIC works fine, but 7.1.1 doesn't see the on-board NIC -- even though the installer spotted it earlier!

Any dates on a fix to this? That are usable by those of us that aren't kernel hackers? (Checked the mobo BIOS and it's up to date according to Intel).

(Maybe I'll try an Intel dual-nic board!)

cheers--
    Last edited by k6rtm; 02-16-2010 at 12:26 AM.

gentlemen, see the other posts about mini itx atom motherboards. They have weak bios's and that is usually to blame for this type of problem.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Quote Originally Posted by proactivens View Post
    gentlemen, see the other posts about mini itx atom motherboards. They have weak bios's and that is usually to blame for this type of problem.
    Brother Jim--

What mobo does your home appliance use? One of the D945GC series from Intel?

The D510MO is the board Intel is pushing as the replacement for the D945 series -- with higher performance, lower power dissipation, and fanless operation.

Most distros seem to be having teething problems with this board; my son got Ubuntu happy with the onboard NIC, probably rebuilding parts of things. Our schedules will mesh in a couple of days and I'll find out.

I'll look for a D945GC board to use for a while until the major distros catch up; unfortunately they're getting scarce out on the Left Coast already, as the D510MO is also cheaper.

Cheers--

Bob Martin
    Silicon Valley

it is the unfortunate side effect of using an atom platform and software NIC's, i finally gave up trying to use realtek NIC's with the install problems, sometimes you get them working, other times you dont, go spend the $20-$30 on some Intel NIC's and you wont look back!
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast