Default Ubuntu and VMWare - Help!

Hello,

I am trying to install Untangle on an Ubuntu host using VMWare. Unfortunately, it isn't working out so great. ANy help would be greatly appreciated!

My setup is as follows:

ASUS eeePC running Ubuntu 9.10 (the netbook remix version)
    I have VMWare Workstation installed (on the trial option)
    The onboard NIC goes to my internal network, it is eth0.
    I have my cable modem connected to a USB port, it is eth1.

Now, without Untangle, everything is fine. I can get an IP and surf, and ping my internal network.

I downloaded the virtual appliance, and installed it using VMWare. VMWare network settings are as follows:

vmnet0 bridged to eth1
    vmnet2 bridged to eth0

On the Untangle guest, I have the first NIC connected to vmnet0, and the second to vmnet2.

If I specify an IP on the internal interface in Untangle, I can ping it fine from my network, and access the web ui. However, the external nic isn't connecting to the cable modem.

I tried to do the routing as described in the Untangle Wiki, but it did not work.

I have tried giving the cable modem nic (eth1) an ip off the subnet I am using...but I cannot disable specific protocols like you can in windows.

My route -n outputs the following:
    Code:
     Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
    24.20.210.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.254.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
    0.0.0.0         24.20.210.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
    0.0.0.0         192.168.1.254   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    I have enabled promisuous mode on vmnet0 and vmnet2.

My thoughts:
    Whenever I plug in my cable modem, Ubuntu autoconnects. Maybe my cable modem grabs my eeepc's mac, before I can tell the Untangle box to connect?
    I can tell it not to autoconnect, but then the eth1 interface does not show up.
    The Ubuntu network manager does not seem to want to let enter 0.0.0.0 as an IP for eth1, or any other improper IP address.
    I think my routing is screwed up somehow, but I followed the Wiki. Maybe I am doing something wrong there?

Thanks for any help you can give!

The eeePC doesn't have the CPU to run Untangle native... putting it into a VM is simply a recipe for disaster anyway.

As for the rest, it's best to dedicate the External Interface to the VM if you want to take this path. Get the host off that adapter completely.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks for the reply!

I know the eeePC is underpowered for it. I will be putting on a more powerful desktop, also using Ubuntu, so the configuration steps should be the same.

Could you elaborate a bit more on how I could remove the host from the external nic?

Thank you so much!

No... I use ESXi. I'm unsure has to how to get the host to let go of an adapter and allow the VM to use it. You just can't have the host using TCP/IP on that adapter, if you do you get the problem you're describing.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

SMR

Is there any reason why you want to use Ubuntu with VMware Workstation? I have found it best to use the free ESXi... since it is a baremetal installation, it ill not be as resource heavy, (I suppose depending on how you have Ubuntu installed), and it also seems to play more nicely regarding drivers.

If you don't have a specific reason to use Ubuntu, I would suggest considering ESXi.
    Sam Reeves
    Disclaimer: I know nothing.. There, that should satisfy any doubt you had!
    "on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook." - Shawshank Redemption (1994 film - Andy Dufresne)

I have no particular attachment to Ubuntu...however, I just tried to install ESXi, and it told me I didn't have a compatible NIC (on both the eeepc and my desktop that has two nics..). Ah well.

Thanks for the suggestion.