Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Howto transfer the license.

Scenario:
    You have a paid subscription tied to a box, however, that box has crashed, or you wanted to reinstall the Untangle.

Solution:
    We do offer the self help, transfer subscription tool.
    Steps to transfer the license to the new server.

1. Login via the GUI to the new server.
    2. Lower left hand side, click My Account.

3. Login to the store with the store account.
    4. Left hand side, click My Subscriptions.

5. Towards the upper right hand side, click Transfer Subscriptions.
    6. Use this tool to transfer the license to the new server.

7. Check mark the subscription on the new server and click reinstall.

Here is the video tutorial, it is little old, however, the instructions are very similar.

Please note, each time you transfer, that record is recorded. If we spot an abuse, we have the right to terminate your account, subscription, or both.
    Last edited by gotkimchi; 02-22-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added the pictures
    to be understood, you must first understand.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Update:
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/P...aid_license.3F

Step #7 is no longer needed.
    to be understood, you must first understand.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

good to know, need to redo a box.

So one problem, what if the box the license is on, wont connect to the internet and you have to redo it?

how can you then transfer the license to another server?

i think having to go through the server as the only method is kind of... i don't know, silly? why cant people just log into their UT account online and remove / transfer licenses that way?
    Last edited by Mathiau; 06-10-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

I just want to clarify a point here: will transferring the license to a new machine immediately disable the old one? Obviously I do need to take the old machine offline when I put the new one into production - I'm just talking long enough to finish configuring the new box.

Legally, and ethically yes you need to take the old box down when you move the license.

That said, Untangle doesn't currently have any license enforcement, so the old box will continue with its installed and configured software, it just won't be able to upgrade.

No one is going to begrudge you some overlap while you migrate.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I'm having a problem on the 'Transfer Subscriptions' page. Everything seems fine *except* for the "Currently logged into: <Server Name>." It's misidentifying the system I'm using as some other customer entirely. The system UID is correct, but the name is *waaaay* off. My gut feeling is that the transfer woule *probably* go through, but I'm hesitant to actually submit it because I'm worried about the chance of inadvertently transferring my subscription to a random third party (who probably wouldn't even realize it).

Call support. 650-425-3300.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Legally, and ethically yes you need to take the old box down when you move the license.

That said, Untangle doesn't currently have any license enforcement, so the old box will continue with its installed and configured software, it just won't be able to upgrade.

No one is going to begrudge you some overlap while you migrate.
    Take the given scenario (which will be true for us in a couple of weeks):

We just substituted an underpowered box with a new server, and intend to leave the underpowered box as a cold spare.

We will be licensing Directory Connector and Policy Manager in a couple of weeks, and as I'm the sole sysadmin here (followed by an it tech not very comfortable with this stuff) I intend that if needed the switch would be the simpler as possible.

Would having the license in both servers, even if only one is at use (the other one is turned off) constitute a violation of policy?

I intended that in my absense the switch would be as simple as powering up the box, connect the cables, restore the configuration backup and sorting out the adapters.

I suppose I can add the licensing transfer steps to the protocol, but the simpler it is the less latitude for mistake.

Untangler

Installing and upgrading a new UT deployment is painfully slow. I would much rather clone them (I run them virtualized). Can I install a blank licence on a cloned UT with the method described here?

Untangler

Default quick question.... creating new installs from a backup?

Is it possible without messing things up to setup a new server, restore from backup.. then make the changes IP's, Host name, rules , Firewall, forwarding etc...

---- Kind of a template so to speak -----

I find this is much faster to edit existing rules then to start from scratch on a new install and add everything...?

Not sure if the backup / restore keeps anything specific to the old machine that will cause an issue as long as settings are changed?

I just wondered if it creates a problem for you guys at untangle for upgrades or machine info.?

Thanks

Mitch
    Tyan K8SD Pro S2882-D Dual Opteron
    4gb Reg ECC Memory Intel Dual Nic
    3Ware 8506-4LP Raid
    Now Running Untangle 10.0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast