Default Untangle stops filtering and blocks all traffic

I've been running a trial with untangle for the past week, and twice so far I've run into this scenario.

Running untangle in bridge mode between my router (m0n0) and the switches. I'm running in on a lenovo desktop using onboard plus a realtek pci card. Desktop has an 80 gig sata drive, 1 gb ram, dual core athlon 2.0 ghz. It will work fine for several days, and all of a sudden it will just stop passing any data. I'm able to get into the web interface on untangle with no problems, and it's responsive. Console is responsive as well. Ram isn't maxed (though I do experience some RAM creep the longer the box is up), and CPU is sitting at 0. 70ish gigs free on the hard drive too.

I've got about 30 users on it, running the entire open source package plus ad blocker, though I have firewall turned off. Page count on the web filter when it hung was about 130000 pages filtered.

Can anyone give me any ideas or things to try to keep it from hanging like this? I'd also like to know if the ram usage will just keep going up and up. It starts at about 450 megs of ram used, and after 4 days (my longest uptime without an issue) is about 750 used. Is it just going to keep going up, or is there a ceiling somewhere?

do you have a keyboard mouse connected?

check cpu with 'top' and memory with 'free -m'
    adding memory would probably help.

when internet is down i'd try and figure out what "down" is.
    does ping work? does DNS resolve? does TCP work? can you ping the internet? can you ping m0n0? can you ping untangle? etc etc
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    do you have a keyboard mouse connected?

check cpu with 'top' and memory with 'free -m'
    adding memory would probably help.

when internet is down i'd try and figure out what "down" is.
    does ping work? does DNS resolve? does TCP work? can you ping the internet? can you ping m0n0? can you ping untangle? etc etc
    I only have a monitor and mouse connected...no spare keyboard. I'm able to check memory and CPU at the web interface though, and they both seem to be good (unless of course this isn't accurate). I can certainly scrounge up a keyboard to try to check this next time it hangs (whenever that may be).

By "down", I mean that no traffic appears to pass. I can ping the Untangle bridge, but not the m0n0 box on the other side. I can't contact anything past in any way.

The only way I can get it to work again is to reboot, so if the memory and cpu meter in the web interface can be inaccurate I can certainly try it. As far as I know all of the hardware is good, but is there a chance that this issue could be a nic problem? (I'm using onboard for connection from untangle to the switches, and the PCI NIC for the connection to m0n0).

if you can't ping the m0n0 box on the otherside it is probably a NIC issue. can untangle ping m0n0? can m0n0 ping untangle?

untangle doesn't process ping, so if you can't ping through then linux/routing isn't even working. I'd try another nic.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    if you can't ping the m0n0 box on the otherside it is probably a NIC issue. can untangle ping m0n0? can m0n0 ping untangle?

untangle doesn't process ping, so if you can't ping through then linux/routing isn't even working. I'd try another nic.

I will give it a shot. Thanks!

I am gonna say it is a NIC problem.

As I was taught, realtek NICs are completly driver based. Meaning on top of the UVM and all of the UT apps, you now have the processor having to do more work by processing all of the traffic that a good set of NICs would do with independent CPUs built on the cards.

Get your self a pair of Intel Pro Server adapters, that should be a step in the right direction. Other than that, dmorris is right. More memory will always help out.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds