Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default 7.2 Available Now

I just saw it under updates on one of my boxes. Upgrade went really smooth. Captive portal seems to work great. I only wish they made this a rack component... I am not sure why they don't get why it needs to be in the rack...

its available for some but not all users.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by far182 View Post
    I just saw it under updates on one of my boxes. Upgrade went really smooth. Captive portal seems to work great. I only wish they made this a rack component... I am not sure why they don't get why it needs to be in the rack...
    I agree. By not being in a rack, you have to build all new rules for everyone again after you've already built rules under Policy Management. It really needs to be moved to a rack, but at least we have it!!!

Lannie

Master Untangler

I completely agree that this needs to be a rack item....I think we had this conversation over in the beta testers forum. Maybe they will here our cries!!

I will admit to not understanding this.. Captive Portal requires users to identify themselves thereby mapping a username to an IP address for a defined period of time.

If you don't want captive portal to function for a segment of the user population, at this point you will need to define the ip range to exclude from seeing the captive portal.

You don't need to build any new rules. It will use the existing rules in policy manager once the user has identified themselves.

Can you give me some use cases where you would use captive portal in a particular rack?
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangle Ninja

Mrunkel i haven't tested this do to that my trail of the Directory Connector ended.
    But if a user is authenticated with the vbscript will it see the Captive portal or will it pass?

The thing i would love is to be able to use two dbs for login or have a potion ex "guest" and when that button is hit they are moved in to a guest rack and there session and to have a separate session time out on the guests then the other users would be lovely.

Ex IF a Ad user authenticates they get a session time out of 4 h. If they use the guest button the session will only be alive for 1 h.

Untanglit

When will 7.2 be available for download?

And when will it be available through Upgrade for all users?

Untangle Ninja

Josteinc welcome to the forum,
    The RC1 is available to download now.
    http://forums.untangle.com/announcem...available.html
    But it that is the final rls candidate i can't say.

When they start pushing out the updates it will not be visible for all unites at once.
    It can take a few weeks before all systems can update.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    I will admit to not understanding this.. Captive Portal requires users to identify themselves thereby mapping a username to an IP address for a defined period of time.

If you don't want captive portal to function for a segment of the user population, at this point you will need to define the ip range to exclude from seeing the captive portal.

You don't need to build any new rules. It will use the existing rules in policy manager once the user has identified themselves.

Can you give me some use cases where you would use captive portal in a particular rack?
    here is my post from the tester heaven forum....
    I have one group of computers that can only go to websites a, b, and c. They have their own rack. Now I have 1 other computer that needs to be able to login to go anywhere.

As it sits now to set this up, I have to create the two racks and great. But now I install the captive portal and tell it to bypass the group of computers that are restricted.

Seems to me that it would save a step if you would just add captive portal as a rack item to each rack.

Now I see where it would help if you were doing captive portal for everyone, but then you could just use the beauty of the parent racks to apply captive portal to everyone.

Please do give me experiences where I am wrong thinking here.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    How do you configure the captive port to work via username then and NOT IP? Our useage goes by username more than IP. The user can use 20 different machines in a day. Different labs, different rules per lab and different rules per user themselves.

Lannie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast