Thread: Very Slow Boot

Untangler

Default Very Slow Boot

Hi,

I am running Untangle 7.2 on a dual core 2 GHz Intel machine, under VMWare. I am finding that it can take > 15 minutes for Untangle to boot, and is quite slow to respond.

Is it just something strange in my system, or is this pretty normal? Part way though the boot process I lose my network connections, so it is a bit painful ... :-(.

Thanks!

How much ram is in your machine, and how much is allocated to UT?

What CPU are you using? Dual core 2GHz what? VMware doesn't seem to perform well on pre- intel VT machines.

Untangler

Hi,

The machine has 4GB of memory, 768 MB allocated to Untangle ... is that sufficient?

The processor is a T3200 ... non Intel VT (ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37160). I have run other VM's fairly well on this machine in the past, but Untangle may require some specific things that I'm not providing - wouldn't be the first time I screwed up!

Thanks,
    ... Russell

I'm only speaking from my experience. I tried to run UT on a vmware VM on an early (P4) xeon machine, and it was "laggy." I also noticed disk performance was rather sad on said machine while it was running VMs.

I have much better luck running it on vbox machines, although I often have trouble with the network interfaces during install.
    YMMV.

I have found out the hard way, more ram = more performance.

As far as Untangle, I used to have my virtualized, but it was more problems than solutions. To get mine to work well enough I have allocate it 2GB of memory. any less and it ran S...L..O..W.

What version of VMware are you running? ESXi?, VMware Server for Windows/Linux?

I am going to assume ESXi 3.5 considering 4.0 requires Intel-VT/ AMD-V to run.

If my mind serves me correctly, the T series intel chips are mobile processors. My buddy tears down laptops at his work and they have those in them.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Intel® Pentium® Processor T3200 = BAD FOR VMWARE

That chip is low end!

You need something like a minimum Core2 Duo. At best a Xeon quad core.

VMware is very very resource hungry. And it is starving right now.

4GB of RAM is okay.. but more the better. Roughly VMware eats up about 700mb of memory for its own uses. At least on my ESXi 4.0 box.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Untangle takes an appreciable amount of time to boot even on my dual processor Xeon 2.66GHz, 2GB ECC DDR ram, mirrored 15k SCSI array server. Putting it on a weak machine in a VM is just asking for trouble.

Untangler

Makes sense - and this really does help. Thanks!!!