Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.2 Iso

SMR

Have you purchased support? If so, call them.

Otherwise, these forums are free and voluntary. It is not our job to search the forums for your hardware specs. We have jobs and lives outside of this forum. Very few people here, (incuding Sky-Knight) work for Untangle, so if you don't want their help, you're going about it the correct way. If you do, show some courtesy.

You did give us one clue. They are all "older dells" ... what a shocker if, as has already been pointed out in this forum, there was an incompatible piece of hardware that was the same in all three? Or that, heaven forbid, there was an actual problem with h/w... I had two Dells in a row have a bad hard drive, and then a bad NIC. Both were "good machines" in their previous life.
    Sam Reeves
    Disclaimer: I know nothing.. There, that should satisfy any doubt you had!
    "on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook." - Shawshank Redemption (1994 film - Andy Dufresne)

SMR

And I only come down so hard because I, myself, showed the exact same disrespect yesterday. I realized my mistake after it was too late. It is that ignorance thing, y'know?

Anyway, feel free to provide details that are asked. Some of these people have been at Untangle a while and know the quirks that it has and are willing to share with the proper answers first. As you say, you are a software developer... that means you should know that each piece of software has their own unique pattern. So, with any luck, you can provide h/w info, we can provide answers.

And to back up Untangle.. I haven't had a single issue that was Untangle's fault since 5.0. It has all been h/w or configuration related. But when I do have questions, as long as I provide everything asked of me, this forum has always given me a good answer to the problems.
    Sam Reeves
    "on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook." - Shawshank Redemption (1994 film - Andy Dufresne)

If the question is still (by the OP) where to get the 7.2 ISO, then simply click on the link listed by WebFooL, and then go to the 1st posting by JCoffin, that is the 7.2 RC2, which as DMorris stated is the final. If you read other posts about it, it does not drop the "RC2" until they post on the website, but that will not be for a short period of time to allow for their bandwidth to push out to all the upgrades.

As far as "older Dells", that is pretty vague, and if I understand the forums, from reading them pretty consistently for the last 18mos or so, the hardware compatibility posting is old and not very up-to-date (I could be wrong here, but that is my understanding, due to the speed at which things change with open source). If you dont want to post the nitty gritty of your systems, no problem, just post it is an optiplex 260, or a dimension 4600..etc. Not saying this will get you much in the way of results, but if someone who has one of those exact machines in operation sees it, they can maybe provide a little insight into any issues they might have faced, and what steps they took to resolve them.

It will work a lot better than getting into a he said she said (it is hardware no software..etc). Fact is if you are looking for help on these forums folks are on here to help those who are wanting to help themselves. No one on here can fix it for anyone else, we can merely provide real world feedback for situations that each of us has encountered and worked through, or are banging our heads on. There is no "us against them" on here, and as Sky-knight stated there could be an unknown bug, however without more information no fingers can be pointed in any direction. The statical probability that 3 different machines experience the exact same issue is pretty slim. What this should tell you is eliminate the differences, then focus only on what is identical, and try to eliminate those.

Anyhow if you want to give more information about the actual issue, rather than strictly saying it has to be a software issue, I am pretty sure you will get a lot of help from the community. I have multiple boxes that within the last week did the auto-upgrade from 7.1 to 7.2, a couple of them old Dell P4 servers, and so far no problems.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Have you purchased support? If so, call them.

Otherwise, these forums are free and voluntary. It is not our job to search the forums for your hardware specs. We have jobs and lives outside of this forum. Very few people here, (incuding Sky-Knight) work for Untangle, so if you don't want their help, you're going about it the correct way. If you do, show some courtesy.

You did give us one clue. They are all "older dells" ... what a shocker if, as has already been pointed out in this forum, there was an incompatible piece of hardware that was the same in all three? Or that, heaven forbid, there was an actual problem with h/w... I had two Dells in a row have a bad hard drive, and then a bad NIC. Both were "good machines" in their previous life.
    buy support and the product when it appears it won't even work .. that's funny

Untangler

Nevering, how about giving details on your hardware? Then people would have a chance in helping you out.

Master Untangler

Hardware details is important. Without the hardware details I can only make a stab at the problem...

Underpowered hardware + rebooting the Untangle box while it's still upgrading...

or

Misconfiguration on your boxes. Something is configured that when upgraded to 7.2 hoses the box and probably should of hosed the box on 7.1, but didn't.

Good luck.

Master Untangler

Ow yeah, one more thing... Buy support, it's worth it. Untangle is a mature product that works great. I have it running at a few dozen locations. One of my Untangle's has over 1000's machines behind it and traffic shapes (QOS) 10 concurrent call VOIP trunk without issue. It's been up 276 days 16 hours 48 minutes.

SMR

I haven't tried, but can't you even get a free trial of support? If so, that'd be a great way to see it in action and have you help out your problem. If Untangle is able to help you and have you become a satisfied customer, that is a far better alternative to turning you away from the product.
    Sam Reeves

Untangler

Default Hardware

Here is the machine I'm working with now.

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/slimpro-sp645f.asp

It has the 3 Intel pro nic option loaded.

The other 2 Dells. Are Dell Dimension 8200 and Dell XPS 400 .. standard and out of the box. No special configurations, cept maybe hard drive size and memory. Both I used the 2 new Intel pro 100 nics in.

Note that the Cappucinopc computer has it's own set of Nics, different but still Intel 100 pro

What more do you need to know about these machines ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevering View Post

What more do you need to know about these machines ?
    Great info - thanks.

What is the exact issue you are having with these machines? They can't download updates? They keep powering off intermittently?

Have you accessed these machine's terminal? If so, what have you changed? Have you enabled ssh or installed any modifications?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast