Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Sudden high load on 7.2

I noticed degraded internet access this morning despite very low internet traffic. I checked the server and the loads were between 8 and 12. This is on a dual quad-core box that usually is at 1.5 at the highest. The java process was hanging out around 400 %CPU when I looked at top, and I also noticed a process called arp_eater that was running for a long time. I've never seen this before. It was the second biggest CPU user for a long time.

My server has calmed down a bit and is now hanging out around 5 or 6 cpu load, which is still high. I don't really know how to troubleshoot what is causing this problem. I called support and they just said that a load of 5 or 6 isn't a big deal and I shouldn't worry about it as long as everything else is working.

I don't like that response. Something is obviously not quite right on the box. It should not have been seeing loads of 8 to 12 for so long this morning. Some web pages were loading so slowly that I thought they were going to timeout. I even had a hard time getting to the Untangle website to get the number for support.

Any good tips on troubleshooting a high load? I'm probably just going to reboot the server soon, but I'd like to figure out what's going on first.
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

Geez....the load average is back over 9! Grrrr....

EDIT: Now it's over 13! Something is really weird.
    Last edited by neiby; 03-29-2010 at 08:18 AM.
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

the first thing I do is a reboot.
    If the problem came again, then i go to debugging.

Yeah, but rebooting the server in our environment means interrupting service to a lot of people who get really irritated about it: police and fire mobile units, citizens who needs to access our internal website to pay bills, etc. I probably will just reboot, but I'd love to figure out what's going on beforehand.

I'm also curious about this arp_eater process that was running for so long earlier. I've never seen that one before.

I'm going to try just restarting uvm to see if that does the trick. If that doesn't work I'll do a full reboot.

I have had this problem happen 3 times so far i go around 3-4 on a dual core rig that normal is well below 1.

i thought maybe it was just me, i guess not.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Mathiau View Post
    I have had this problem happen 3 times so far i go around 3-4 on a dual core rig that normal is well below 1.

i thought maybe it was just me, i guess not.
    That's why I wanted to get support involved while it was happening. That way they could troubleshoot it and maybe figure out the source of the problem.

Restarting uvm didn't work. I'm still running pretty high. I guess I'll do a full reboot now.

Same problem this morning, however we are not on 7.2 yet. Have rebooted 2x now. Last reboot seemed to fix traffic flow, but I can no longer access the GUI on the console or from my desk. We are looking to reboot again over the lunch hour.

when you run top what does it look like?
    why do you say arp-eater is running? is it doing something?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast