Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Untangle and SSD's

I want to install Untangle on an SSD. Is there an SSD "friendly" way to configure it? Perhaps something that limits the log writes? Or can I move the temp and logs to a hard drive? How much writing does it do if logging is turned on?

Also, will Untangle (Debian) install aligned on an SSD?

Thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want use an solid state disk?
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you want use an solid state disk?
    It's boots ungodly slow at the moment? Of course, that's partially my fault since I am using a slow 2.5" drive at the moment in a mini-itx case. It can take a 2.5" drive, and the fastest 2.5" drive around..... is an SSD.

hmm, is it SATA based?

Do you have any PCIe (PCI Express) slots?

If so get an eSATA card and an external disk enclosure and run a full 3.5" disk.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Also they do make 7200RPM 2.5" Drives.

Western Digital I know makes them and I am sure Seagate does too.

Untangler

I appreciate the alternate suggestions guys, but I am only interested in my questions about the SSD. I am fully aware I could spend a little money on a better 2.5" hard drive.

Nothing else will fit (like a 3.5" drive) because the point of this box was small. Any external storage kind of ruins the purpose. I also may not even install it directly on the SSD, but use Vmware ESXi as the host. In that case, all questions are still pertinent except the alignment one.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on an SSD with no configuration tweeking.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I understand, I was not aware you were in the possession of an solid state disk. I thought you were going to buy one.

I think he is worried about burning out sections of the flash sooner than others.

If that is the case you need to see if Debian supports and utilizes wear leveling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast