Master Untangler

Default GRUB Fails with Error 18

Hello.

I have following problem with installing untangle 7.1 / 7.2:

Install starts ok, hardware detection is successful. Untangle finds two HDD's
    SCSI0 and SCSI1. It creates all the necessary partitions on the first HDD and then copies all files. Then it is finished and needs reboot. After reboot I get Please wait...GRUB loading...
    Error 18
    and then nothing. Fail.

Machine I'm trying to install has Intel SRV7505VB2 server board with integrated Sil3112A SATA RAID controller. Two SATA HDD's are attached, both 250GB. Currently they are mirrored in hardware. But as Untangle install seems to detect them both as separate entities, could the problem be there?

Thanks.

If Untangle detects two, they aren't being mirrored in hardware, what you have is one of those fakeraid SATA controllers. They don't do hardware RAID, they just tell the special software driver to perform software RAID configured by the controller BIOS.

I personally think that this class of RAID controller is a disgusting scam because people think they are buying hardware RAID when it is nothing of the sort.

In any case, if you want this controller to work correctly, you will need to disable "RAID" mode and use it as just regular disks. It will *never* work for redundancy without it's special disk drivers.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Put in bios the SATA in IDE Legacy and re install.
    Forget the RAID features and use the other disk in another hardware.

Master Untangler

Well, to answer my own question...

... that seemed to be some kind of disk size issue after all. Reinstalling Untangle 7.2 in expert mode and making separate boot partition (100MB) seemed to do the trick. GRUB loads and then mounts / partition nicely and Untangle starts as it should. Everything seems to work so far.

But as fake RAID is concerned, I tend to agree.

Be careful, keeping the bios in RAID mode you can have issues in the future.