Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started

Untanglit

Angry Getting Started

I just downloaded the UT Server. I installed it as a VM on ESXi with 2 virtual nics. The install seemed to go fine, and the machine is up and running.

I can ping the UT Server (both internal and external nics) from a client on my network. The UT server cannot ping anything.

Here is my LAN setup.

Internet
    -> (T1 Line) Cisco Router (internal IP of x.y.z.137 - mask:\29)
    -> Untangle Server (external IP of x.y.z.141 - mask: \29; Internal IP of 192.168.16.2) running on ESXi host
    -> SBS 2008 (IP of 192.168.16.5) running on ESXi host
    -> Clients given DHCP on 192.168.16.0\24

The system that I am trying to get away from is that I currently have an IPCop box as my firewall/proxy server at x.y.z.139 (external) 192.168.16.1 (internal)

The IPCop box is also a VM, and I have tried this setup with it both powered on and off.

I ran the setup wizard and chose "Router" mode. External nic has an IP of x.y.z.141 with a gateway of x.y.z.137 (Cisco Router). The internal nic has an IP of 192.168.16.2. DHCP is disabled on the UT Server.

Again, I cannot get internet connectivity from the UT Server. I can ping the UT Server internal and external nics from a client on the inside. The UT Server cannot ping anything.

I enabled external administration. I can browse to the external IP address to connect to the UT Server. Browsing to the internal IP address will not let me connect.

Obviously, UT Server is unable to connect to the app store.

Build 7.2.0

Thanks,

Dennis

Untanglit

Correction: The UT Server can ping x.y.z.139 (IPCop box-firewall/proxy server). It cannot ping anything else.

I tried turning off the IPCop Box, but then I cannot ping anything.

Do you have your virtual nic connected to the right virtual switches? If EXT can not ping anything, you wont be able to access it externally. You mentioned that it can ping the IPCop box which is another VM? Sounds like maybe you have them using the same physical NIC?

Untanglit

I do have them both using the same physical NIC. Is this a problem?

Untanglit

wait a second...
    There are 2 physical nics on the box. One goes toward the Cisco Router and the x.y.z.136\29 subnet. The other goes toward my internal network. I bet I have my virtual nics configured to use the wrong hardware nics. Does that sound like it could be the problem? I am going to look into my VM and see if I can figure that out.

Thanks,

Dennis

Untanglit

Okay...I don't know how to figure out which hardware nic my virtual nic is tied to...

Dennis

If you are using ESXi for your IPCop as well, my guess is you have your virtual nic's for that one labeled correctly, or it would not be working. You do need to make sure if you go into edit settings for the VM that you are not using the same NIC for both INT/EXT (on the UT VM). Also make sure that you dont have the IP you assigned your UT box in use as an alias on your IPCop (seen this before when adding another box).

Untanglit

Okay, I checked all that. The UT Server is using the device called LAN for its internal network and the device called WAN for its external network. This is the same as the IPCop box. I ran ifconfig on the IPCop box and it is not using 192.168.16.2 or x.y.z.141 as aliases.

Untanglit

The SBS is also a VM, and I cannot ping it. In fact, I cannot ping any VM except the IPCop box.

when you try to ping out from UT are you doing IP or DNS names? Can you ping the gateway from the UT box?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast