Untangler

Default Help w first time setup

If i install untangle server version. My setup would be this?

Cable modem-UT port-switch-ap

On UT, i would only have to turn DHCP on and to make the wireless router into a AP, turn off DHCP?

Now, would all my port forwarding be done from UT?

Modem > Untangle external - Untangle internal > Switch >Clients & AP

Turn on DHCP on untangle, turn it off on the AP. If you have problems assigning wireless users ip addresses, then you need to change your scope on untangle and turn dhcp on the access point on as well. So in that case, untangle dhcp could hand out addresses from 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150 and your access point could hand out addresses from 192.168.1.151-192.168.1.200 or something along those lines. As long as both DHCP scopes dont overlap, there wont be a problem running them both.

As far as port forwards go, you would need to setup firewall rules first to allow the traffic to pass firewall, then go and make separate port forward rules under config>networking>port forwards.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangler

Default Modem > Untangle external - Untangle internal > Switch >Clients & AP

How can i distinguish between INT and EXT?

So essentially, any client trying to hit my network wirelessly would grab an IP from the wireless router?

Am i correct to assume anything hard coded would get an IP from the Untangle server?

"As far as port forwards go, you would need to setup firewall rules first to allow the traffic to pass firewall, then go and make separate port forward rules under config>networking>port forwards."

Create the firewall rules on the untangle box im assuming and the same for the port forwarding?

Can you give me an example for lets say Remote Desktop port 3389?

Thanks!

In the Untangle setup wizard or after you've set it up under Network you can see the interfaces and tell which one is up. By unplugging one of the cables it shouldn't be hard to tell which interface goes down and determine which is which.

In my opinion, it would be easier to just let one DHCP server run. Just use Untangle and set it's range from 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200

Are you setting up Untangle up as a router or bridge?
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Untangler

Default Bridge mode

i was thinking just a bridge setup. I assuming the only difference is that as a router, it would act as a router too, dns, dhcp, nat...etc Will it have the same effect being a bridge? All traffic wireless/wired will be protected by it?

What is the main difference between bridge and router mode?

Derek

Untangler

so essentially, with bridge mode, I could keep dhcp disabled on the UT and keep it enabled on my wireless router instead...correct?

Untangler

so to keep my wireless router a router, do i need to go in router mode or could i keep it in bridge mode:

cable modem-EXT UT-INT UT-switch-wireless router setup as AP?-wired/wireless clients or

cable modem-wireless router-EXT UT-INT UT-switch-wired devices (with this, would wireless clients still go through my UT firewall?

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by derek7467 View Post

cable modem-wireless router-EXT UT-INT UT-switch-wired devices (with this, would wireless clients still go through my UT firewall?
    No.

Untanglit

Untangle does not filter wireless client if you have a wireless router enable ex. linksys, the reason is because the untangle just filter what ever is connected to the switch if you have the UT on bridge mode. you gonna need a AP or setup the UT as router and use your wireless router as an AP connect directly from the switch.