Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Redirect specific user to specific webpage?

I've been asked (as part of a practical joke, honestly) to find a way to redirect a certain user's web requests to a specific site. He's been gone for a month and we're doing a lot of fun stuff when he gets back. My boss wants him to end up at a funny website no matter where he tries to go. I tried the port forwarding feature, but that doesn't really work for this, at least not very well.

I know what I really need is some sort of URL rewrite or transparent proxy. Granted, this is just part of a joke, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a feature on Untangle that can do this.

Thanks!
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

We are serius people and dont make jokes (?)
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Well, I have no sense of humor, either. I'm just being forced into it by my boss. :-)
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

Sense of humor forced its like sex forced and enjoyed?

Doing this requires a proxy. A reverse one to be exact, and one that can modify host headers on the fly. Apache can do this, but the details are a mess. Spend some time on google and you will find what you need.

Alternately, if you're really really lucky. And the web server that has your gag site on it is dedicated and will respond with the wanted web content regardless of the host header sent by the web browser. All you need to do is configure said client browser to use a proxy server and point it at the web server on port 80.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

If you manage your internal (and forward) dns server, can insert by hand playboy.com and link to the ip of the joke web server.

Yep, we did this for April fools one year. We sent all Google and Yahoo searches to our own web server with what looked like MS Live search and it had a picture of Bill Gates saying that he bought the internet. Granted it redirected ALL internal traffic and not just one user's.
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

hmm.. I think it depends on the target website and whether it uses virtual hosting.

if not, you can just do a DNS or port forward level redirect.

if it expects the correct hostname then it will be harder. I can't think of an easy way to do this with untangle.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

couldn't this be done with an outgoing port forward. Basically say anything from ip x.x.x.x on 80 gets forwarded to ip x.x.x.x(joke site ip)? Sky I think you were talking about this working on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdessert View Post
    couldn't this be done with an outgoing port forward. Basically say anything from ip x.x.x.x on 80 gets forwarded to ip x.x.x.x(joke site ip)? Sky I think you were talking about this working on another thread.
    That's what I tried first. I thought it would work, but it didn't. It would direct my requests to the correct web server, but the URL would not be correct, so I'd end up getting 404 errors. Something about the URL is breaking things. I'm not sure why. For example, let's say I try to redirect everything to the IP address used by www.cnn.com. If I go to www.abc.com, I will get redirected to the CNN web server, but I won't get their main page.

I really do need some sort of URL rewrite. I didn't think anything like existed on Untangle, but it was fun to think about a creative way to do this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast