Default First Time Installation

I am evaluating Untangle Web Filter on a home network to see if we can use it in our office building with several hundred users.

I have a cable internet modem, a wireless linksys router, and a PC with Untangle installed.

Can you offer some guidance on how I should be configuring the hardware for this setup? When I tried on my own, I always get the message that my DNS passed, but Internet failed.

Any advice would be great. Let me know if I need to be more specific.

Plug the untangle into your network.

Start cd install.

Configure untangle as a bridge with the currently plugged in nic as your external.

Plug your current pc into the untangle's other port.

You are done.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Thank you.

In my scenario, I am going from the Untangle PC to a Linksys wireless router. Will I be plugging the router into the second Untangle port?

If so, do the settings on the router need to be updated at all?

you should really call someone like myself or skyknight. We need a bit more info to see if your config would work for your setup, and what is the best way to go about it.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Please re-read my post. Everything you need is right there.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangle Ninja

Examples on how to implement it as bridge and router.

Bridge:
    Attachment 2839

Router:
    Attachment 2838

He called. The problem may be that he didnt restart his cable modem after he replaced the linksys with the untangle. Cable modems often (especially motorola modems) store the MAC of the router they are attached too. They will only communicate with that MAC and nothing else. When you restart the modem it wipes out that mac and replaces it with the first mac it finds, which would be untangle's mac.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Quote Originally Posted by proactivens View Post
    He called. The problem may be that he didnt restart his cable modem after he replaced the linksys with the untangle. Cable modems often (especially motorola modems) store the MAC of the router they are attached too. They will only communicate with that MAC and nothing else. When you restart the modem it wipes out that mac and replaces it with the first mac it finds, which would be untangle's mac.
    it's not the cable modem but the CMTS(or head-end) that stores it which makes this irregardless of modem options. Whether or not the Mac is bound to the account is purely the cable provider's decision.(i used to install/troubleshoot these things..<G>).