Default Web Filter easy to get around

I just started messing with the the free web filter. I was able to bypass my web filter by doing an nslookup and navigating to the ip rather than dns name.

example
    I block dating sites.
    I goto match*com and its blocked
    i goto x.x.x.x and I'm in. not the same graphical site but enough to get around.

Some sites it still blocks some get thru.
    Dose ESoft work the same way?

esoft is better than the free web filter... Its recommeded to turn off the open source web filter if using esoft. All paid apps with the exception of branding manager have a 14 day trial you can try. If 14 days isn't enough you can reinstall and try again.

Never looked at the web filter that closely. Not sure if it works any better with your scenario or not.
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

eSoft gives the option to block IP only web sites, so yes, it will certainly block those.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Quote Originally Posted by outarange View Post
    example
    I block dating sites.
    I goto match*com and its blocked
    i goto x.x.x.x and I'm in. not the same graphical site but enough to get around.
    check "block pages from IP only hosts" and hit apply.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

I agree with the recommendation of dmorris, although this will affect most sites of yahoo, specially the yahoo mail.

Yahoo is too lazy to map their fqdn to some of their IP addresses.