Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Default New Dell Poweredge R210 - Can't install UT

I'm trying to install Untangle 7.3.1 64bit on a brand new Dell Poweredge R210 server. It is my first adventure into UT and so far has been very frustrating!

Issue:
    After booting from the Untangle CD it gets past the language part before throwing it's toys out the pram when detecting cd-rom devices. "No common CD-Rom drive was detected."

What I have tried:

1. Disabling RAID1 and running all disks in ATA mode (that includes the internal optical drive.)

1. Using an external USB DVD-ROM drive

All attempts have given the same "No Common CD-Rom drive was detected" error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

it isn't the raid it is the poweredge SATA drive and the way it is recognized, i recall reading this but of course i cant find the threads about it, not sure if it is because the drivers are not in debian lenny yet.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

try 7.4 rc3.
    I doubt it will change anything, but it does have some new drivers
    http://forums.untangle.com/announcem...available.html

welcome to the forums!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I could never get the R210 installed here. I think the CD-ROM interface must be in AHCI mode.

It has some other issues that I could never really get ironed out, but frankly, I don't remember what they were.

For what it is worth, the R200, R410, and R610 work great.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    try 7.4 rc3.
    I doubt it will change anything, but it does have some new drivers

welcome to the forums!
    Thanks, I will try that version tomorrow to see if I get any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mathiau
    it isn't the raid it is the poweredge SATA drive and the way it is recognized, i recall reading this but of course i cant find the threads about it, not sure if it is because the drivers are not in debian lenny yet.
    Thanks, but this doesn't explain why the USB DVD drive doesn't work? Should a USB optical drive work?

Can you change from RAID SATA, to Legacy SATA mode in bios?
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    Can you change from RAID SATA, to Legacy SATA mode in bios?
    Hi, see original post. I have changed SATA to ATA Mode and tried installing UT. Same error/Outcome.

a usb cdrom will work. If the hardware is powerful enough, the live cd will skip right over the detect cd screen. You can go back and select it from the list and run it again and it will detect the cdrom correctly and installation will continue.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by proactivens View Post
    a usb cdrom will work. If the hardware is powerful enough, the live cd will skip right over the detect cd screen. You can go back and select it from the list and run it again and it will detect the cdrom correctly and installation will continue.
    This is not what I have experienced. I have booted from an external DVD Drive (USB -to- IDE connector and standard IDE Sony DVD Drive) and it loads as it should, but once again the dreaded "No common CD-Rom drive was detected." error occurs.

See my post. I doubt you're going to get it working.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast