Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JWH

Thank you for the reading dmorris. When it freezes I can't log in to the client browser from internal, external, or from the console so I can't get to the troubleshooting tab. I can ping the external interface from outside the network. I can ping the internal interface from a host pc inside the network. I can get to the admin log in screen from inside, outside, and at the console but when I enter my username and password the little wheel goes round and round and never gets anywhere. I can log into a terminal session from the console. A reboot from the console makes everything work as it should again.

The crab gives it away. It's a realtek:
    http://www.trendnet.com/products/pro...-PCITXR&cat=14
    which means your nics are most likely the culprit. trash those and get some 3coms or intels.

JWH

I just looked at the NICs I pulled out last week when I had this identical problem, They were both 3com NICs. So I have a hard time beliving its the NICs

Quote Originally Posted by JWH View Post
    Thank you for the reading dmorris. When it freezes I can't log in to the client browser from internal, external, or from the console so I can't get to the troubleshooting tab. I can ping the external interface from outside the network. I can ping the internal interface from a host pc inside the network. I can get to the admin log in screen from inside, outside, and at the console but when I enter my username and password the little wheel goes round and round and never gets anywhere. I can log into a terminal session from the console. A reboot from the console makes everything work as it should again.
    Thats a good start, but I'd copy paste those questions and answer them in-line next time it happens. Some of them may not apply if you can't reach the troubleshooting screen, but you can run the same test from the terminal if you have access to that.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by JWH View Post
    I just looked at the NICs I pulled out last week when I had this identical problem, They were both 3com NICs. So I have a hard time beliving its the NICs
    many 3coms are garbage too. if you have had issues with 3coms(and many have) go with Intel. They'll just work..trust me. I can nearly guarantee until you get rid of the win-nics you won't solve this issue. I would advise burning a copy of stress linux. it'll burn your system in nicely and if it's ram or cpu this program will find it.

There is more going on here than the interface issue. The only 3COM interface that is "bad" that I'm aware of is the 905b. All of the 905C's work fine.

I've had a few of those specific trendnet interfaces around before. The issue is that trendnet isn't all that forthcoming on what chipset they choose to use. The Realtek 8111 is an issue. The older 8169 seems to work ok. Still they are software interfaces and result in performance problems and are best not used.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

That's why i suggested stress linux....

JWH

Thanks for all the advice. I will look in my box of NICs and see if I have some intel cards. Still I'm having a hard time with the idea that this box filtered 100 Gigs of throughput last month and did a fabulous job of getting rid of alot of the spam, spyware, and a number of viruses without a glitch and the day after it updated to 7.4 ( only because I forgot to turn off auto update) it started having problems. I know some where in there there is a log or dump file that would probably shed some light on this issue but I'm not sure where to find it. By the way is there a way for me to reinstall 7.3.1 without it automatically upgrading to 7.4 during the setup? Also I have been working on computers long enough to know that hardware issues can happen at any time and can cause strange issues that don't directly point to a problem. I will try out the Linux Stress test when it goes down again which if all holds true will be in 4 days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12