Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JWH

Default UT 7.4 Freezing on me

I have a machine I built about 2 years ago with a Gigabyte MB and dual core AMD 3Ghz processor with 3gigs of ram. I used the machine as my desktop until a couple months ago it has always been stable. I installed UT 7.3.1 on it and gave it to a friend of mine so he could play with Untangle. It ran for a month in a bridge configuration with no problems. It upgraded itself to 7.4 the begining of last week. Two days later there was no network throughput so he called me. I could get to the UT client sign in page remotely, but it wouldn't let me sign in, it just kept thinking about for ever. I went over to his place and at the console I got the same response when trying to sign into client. I could log into terminal. I looked at the system log files and uvm log files and couldn't see anything that stood out as a problem ( I'm no linux guru). I figured it was probably a NIC card problem so I installed a pair of Trendnet gigabit cards my friend had (new). I had a UT 7.4 install disk with me so after putting the new NICs in I installed 7.4 from the disk just incase it was something funny with the upgrade. It ran for 5 days and just did the same thing ( no internet, can get to client login but cant log in, can log into terminal)
    Configuration is..
    2Mb DSL modem--FreeBSD Firewall and DHCP server--UT box bridged--switch to 10 users, web server, and mail server/DNS server.
    The UT box is bypassed at the moment and I am going over to look at it.

Any sugestions as to what I should be looking for in the logs?
    Is there any way to go back to 7.3.1 that it worked so well with?

RAM passes a memtest? Sounds like a memory leak or something. 1GB RAM is about what UT likes to eat ideal.

does df -h reveal any partitions that are full?

Check /tmp this is a common dumping ground for random garbage like clamav-im.out.date.logs
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

JWH

Thanks for the reply Big D. I'm not in front of the machine yet, but I will check as you said when I get there. The machine has 3gigs of ram, I don't remember if I put that in my original post or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JWH View Post
    I figured it was probably a NIC card problem so I installed a pair of Trendnet gigabit cards my friend had (new).
    You traded what for what?

Trendnet doesn't make a "good" NIC. If those are actually operating at gigabit you may just be running the box flat out of ram. Use real interfaces, it helps.

But hard locks are almost always a hardware issue, hard disk, ram, etc.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

JWH

I don't know what the old NICs were. I noticed when I reinstalled 7.4 after changing the NICs the interface page had them listed as 100mbps. Is it a hard lock if it will let me sign into a terminal and browse around? When it would let me in the client it said it had around 2gigs of free ram.

No, hard lock is a complete loss of interrupt control. The test for that is num lock, if you can get that light to turn on and off on the keyboard the system is still running.

What is the part number on those trendnet interfaces? I've got a sneaking suspicion those are realtek 8111 interfaces... they don't fly.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

JWH

The NICs are Trendnet TEG-PCITXR, they say they are compatible with Linux kernel 2.4.x / 2.6.x . I am in front of the machine now. at the console it wont let me log into client but it lets me log into terminal.

JWH

df -h reveals nothing being more than about 4% used. There are a few things in the temp directory but I really don't know what to look for.

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

you should just have a keyword bot that auto posts that link lol
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast