Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by coxhaus View Post
    I turned off IMAP by selecting disable. It will still not send emails. The problem is only sending email. The iPad will receive new emails fine. It just cannot send them. The emails sit in the outbox until the iPad has access to exchange without the untangle between it.
    IMAP is for fetching mail not sending it.

You need to figure out what protocol is being used.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Actually now that I think about it, sending mail is port 25. I can't fix the IMAP problem with the iPad but my wife gave me permission to change the iPad to ActiveSync. When this is done it wipes addresses and calendar events out. Turns out she uses the exchange stuff so the switch over should be painless. And guess what ActiveSync works both outside untangle and inside untangle. I think this is my work around. She will now need to use it for a while to make sure all works. I hope Smoothwall can deal with ActiveSync. I may have to rush the router change out.

why not just make UT your gaeway and ditch SW?

Untangler

I am tired of patching the Smoothwall and reinstalling mods. I just want to go back to a simple stable router. I use a dynamic IP with mail and everytime my address changes my mail delivery gets slowed down. I just don't want to change my IP more than 2 couple times a year. Infact I am using a separate wireless because I change my wireless a lot more than my router. It goes back to the reboot thing. I just want an old stable router I don't have to reboot due to changes. Because of all these reasons I want to run untangle in bridge mode which will allow me to change and reboot untangle without changing my IP address.
    Last edited by coxhaus; 10-09-2010 at 08:53 PM.

run untangle as the router. Set the internal nic to a static ip..hav eit do dhcp. use the built in dyndns for automatic updating of the external ip(via dyndns.org) and your all set. That's what i do with 2 UT's that are now currently running at client locations.

Untangler

I do use dynamic DNS but there are still a lot of sites which cache there DNS and don't update for a day or more. My wife’s work being state government seems to take a long time to update, so it causes me grief because my wife is unable to access mail by name. The other problem is it seems more and more we are applying patches and fixes at a much faster rate and I don't think the trend is going to change anytime soon. Don't get me wrong I am very happy to have security fixes and patches but I think I want a dumb device on the edge now which will be isolated more so than a PC from the wild.

SW may be patching more but UT hasn't needed it. If you are talking about your pc's then yes you are going to patch more..and because of that you really want to increase your security..a dumb device is going to do just the opposite. Also you aren't going to be able to do anything about other parties dns caching..

Untangler

I still have a problem using activesync as well as IMAP. It works inside the network but not out in the wild. I think I have opened all the ports on the Cisco RV082 firewall. Here are the ports I have open. Active sync takes a lot. Ports: 443 143 993 990 999 5721 5678 5679 26675 25 80.
    Do you think I am missing any ports for activesync?
    Does anybody have an iPad connected remotely to your network for mail? The iPad can use the browser for mail so https for browser mail works.
    I may try VPN next.
    The old iphone to the same account works fine without a problem using IMAP.
    Last edited by coxhaus; 10-14-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Active Sync requires only TCP 443, and a properly configured SSL certificate on the IIS that powers OWA.

And yes, I have many iPads attached to an Exchange 2007 server down the street. I've got even more iPhones. Same software, same result.

Untangle router, 6 interfaces, one goes to the servers, I've forwarded TCP 25 and TCP 443 to Exchange.

If the old iPhone works, and the new iPad doesn't you have an issue with the iPad. Likely, is some obscure compatibility issue. Exchange 2007 requires specific patch levels to play with the MAC clients.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

You’re correct about the iPad being the problem. I completely rebuilt the iPad from the desktop and deleted the current setup for activesync. After the rebuild I reinstalled the certificate then setup activesync again. All is working from her work. I closed all the extra ports on the firewall except for TCP 443. It is still working and my wife is very happy. She said the iPad is a lot faster than the iPhone for email. Thanks all for the help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123