Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default iPad issue with email

I have a problem with untangle blocking the iPad from accessing email on a SBS 2003 server using exchange connect on the iPad. The iPhone works great using IMAP. I am running untangle in bridge mode. I put my access point outside untangle and the iPad can not access email but the iPhone will. I can move the access point on the inside of untangle and both the iPad and iPhone access email fine. What should I check in untangle? Are there logs and how and where do I veiw them. I am new to untangle.

Can you confirm that you can get email without Untangle?

Also when you say the phone can do it, are you sure that iphone is not defaulting to 3G access?
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Untangler

Yes they both worked before I installed untangle. Moving the access point proves that bypassing untangle it still works. Whether the iphone uses 3G or not it does not matter as it still travels through the untangle box. But the iPhone is on my wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by coxhaus View Post
    Whether the iphone uses 3G or not it does not matter as it still travels through the untangle box.
    The above statement is not possible, because 3G is AT&T and they would have to be running an Untangle for 3G to be hampered.

Have you verified the email server settings to be correct?

I don't really know much about ipad/iphone. If did not notice my avatar I am an android guy. But I will help you if I can.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

I've only got 3 iPads in the field right now. All three of them are protected by Untangle servers. 1, is simply behind an Untangle from time to time wirelessly as it pops mail off the net.

The other two, are on a LAN with an Exchange 2007 server.

All three of them pull mail from Untangle with no complaint. If there is an issue with the iPad I would start by looking at the mail server logs. I've had issues with Exchange with certain patch levels and iPhones in the past. Make sure your update rollup level is compatible with the mac mail client.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I am not saying it may not be a configuration on the exchange server but with untangle out of the picture the iPad works. Maybe with untangle I need to configure exchange a little different. What I need to look at on untangle are the logs when the iPad goes through. Where are these logs and how do I access them.

Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    The above statement is not possible, because 3G is AT&T and they would have to be running an Untangle for 3G to be hampered.

Have you verified the email server settings to be correct?

I don't really know much about ipad/iphone. If did not notice my avatar I am an android guy. But I will help you if I can.

ipad is only wifi no 3g. iphone can be either wifi or 3g..so the ipads are running through UT. As far as iphone he would have to manually restrict the phone to wifi..

iPad can be 3g too, but let's reset for a second.

In order for an ipad or an iphone or outlook, or android, or any activesync device to connect to exchange, it needs port 443 open, that's it.

If you want autoconfiguration, autodiscover.[email domain] needs to also point to exchange server, and you need to have ssl certs to avoid headaches, but it's pretty simple to set up.

If the iPhone works, but the iPad doesn't, it has nothing to to with the Untangle.

I think the 3g/wifi split is probably a clue in the right direction. Maybe you have a routing issue? The iphone could be falling back to the 3g network and that's why it works.

In any case, you haven't given us enough information to help you.

I can tell you without hesitation that Untangle works just fine with iPads, iPhones, Androids, Blackberry enterprise servers, etc. We run all that stuff in our office and our Exchange server is behind our Untangle.

here's a test. Can you open owa from the iPad and/or the iPhone?
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Master Untangler

Untangler

I just figured out the iPad is using IMAP the same as the iPhone. I will try activesync on the iPad to see if there is a difference. I have all the mobile device options checked under exchange 2003. I don't see any obvious things to change or add. I have to wait for wife to get back before I start messing with her stuff. It will be later tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast