Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

spam filtering is being done by the exchange box itself..so he doesn't need quad core..

Yes, but I've yet to see any anti-spam solution that works as well as Untangle. So the stuff going on in the Exchange box to me is irrelevant. Besides, most Exchange boxes are so overloaded already offloading ANYTHING helps a ton.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Not going to start a ut vs x war here..but i've worked with a couple that OOTB matched or exceeded UT. Now you throw commtouch into the mix and there's only one that holds up..because it uses commtouch as well..

untangle is your best bet for spam filtration. Spend the money and get esoft. Why would you run an spam filtration service inside the network when you can run it at the gateway and save some bandwidth using the tarpit? I would rather stop infected email at the gateway than on the exchange any day of the week.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Master Untangler

In terms of hardware I'd be looking at Dell but it's unlikely I'll get the go ahead for a PowerEdge server. Presumably a dual/quad core Dell system like an Optiplex or Vostro would work? Or must it be PowerEdge?

Or you can cut all the crap and just order an untangle appliance from Jim. Those are 1u units and well tested. It will be cheaper than anything other than a crappy desktop.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

If you are looking at dell i can recommend the Vostro 230MT:
    http://forums.untangle.com/hardware/...itower-ut.html
    This system is protecting a network of about 30-35PC's without any problems. Most modules are enabled from the super bundle (commtouch, kaspersky, spam, clamav).

Master Untangler

That sounds like just what I need for Untangle. Most of our users have Vostro 230's so I know they're good systems.

thanks very much

why use a desktop system with desktop components to protect a network? If you want true reliability go with a server based system. Untangle appliances is one way or build your own but don't use a desktop system as a server.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    why use a desktop system with desktop components to protect a network? If you want true reliability go with a server based system. Untangle appliances is one way or build your own but don't use a desktop system as a server.
    To some extent I agree - i.e. if I had a network with many more users but I'm only running 50 users max. A system like a Dell Vostro (see BigKnot's post above) sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast