Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

desktop systems aren't certified or tested for this application...but yes you can use them in this application. If you have 50 users I would most assuredly invest in an actual server of some kind. The built in error correction, redundancies built into most of them... really justify the additional up-front cost for the extended reliability you'll get long-term..

Untangler

With dell PC server or not look up your model and see what the biggest processor they offered in your box. Then upgrade the processor. The BIOS will have support for what ever they offered. You may have to upgrade the BIOS to get the latest processors to work. I would try getting something better than a Celeron. Since it is single core is probably a P4 type cpu. If it is a P4 pin out it will be a cheap upgrade plenty of P4s around. Make you figure out what style of cpu it is. There was a change at the P4 3.0 gig with 1meg cache. You can have P4 and not support the 1meg cache chips. The BIOS upgrades will tell you. This will be a lot cheaper than buying a new server if it's fast enough. The new cpus are a lot faster than the old ones.

by the time you pay for a cpu upgrade and the shipping you can buy a new server. a p-4 isn't going to handle the highly threaded nature of the UVM well...it's design holds it back. Get a new box with recent technology.

Master Untangler

I agree. The Celeron server I was going to use was clearly never going to perform well. I don't just want our Untangle server to have one or two basic apps installed and struggle - I want to have all of the apps I can fit on it and still for it not to break a sweat.

Further to reading other forum posts etc (thanks BigKnot) I decided to go for the Vostro 230MT and ordered a couple of Intel Pro/1000 GT network cards to throw in it.

Spec as follows:

4GB RAM
    Quad Core (Core 2 Quad) 2.66GHZ (the quad core processor was an extra 30GBP)
    160GB SATA

Celerons do ok for 25 user and down, so long as it's a multi-core. The larger issue is the Vostro itself.

Understand that Dell replaces components all the time, and all it takes is a mainboard with a different chipset to ruin your day and blow your ability to install Untangle. Try it, but there are no guarantees it will work, because there are no guarantees you'll get the same system linked in the other post.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

The Vostro system arrived yesterday. Went live today. Everything worked brilliantly no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yes, but I've yet to see any anti-spam solution that works as well as Untangle. So the stuff going on in the Exchange box to me is irrelevant. Besides, most Exchange boxes are so overloaded already offloading ANYTHING helps a ton.
    GFIMail essentials, i love it for ours.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Mathiau View Post
    GFIMail essentials, i love it for ours.
    We use GFI Mail Essentials and it works brilliantly. It stops around 7000 spam emails daily. Having said that it does of course run on our Exchange server - the Untangle spam filter would stop emails as they arrive rather than when they get to our exchange server.

I'm not switching yet to the untangle spam filter but it's at the back of my mind.

I just helped a community member put Untangle Lite in front of a GFI protected Exchange server.

Untangle Lite, is currently out performing the GFI software in his case.. Untangle with the Comtouch upgrade... well I don't see a false positive here, and the customers I have with it in place won't give it up.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

How is it out performing, as in catching more or?

sure the UT filter is more efficient for resources then GFI on a server, fighting for resources against an OS, Exchange and who knows what else.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast