Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Untangle on Vmware or Virtual Box?

I got a used server off of surplus, for my home network, it is the coolest thing ever, anyways before I got the server, I had 2 dedicated PCs one for untangled and the other win 2008 (file and FTP server ect). They were both just old computer I salvaged from spare parts, so a bit on the slow side. Anyways the new server is better then both of those PCs combined, and would take less power with just device running, So i was wondering if, there is a way to run Untangle as a Virtual Machine? and how the networking would work out?
    The server has 2 GB nic cards, I guess I would plug my WAN in to one and the LAN in the other. But I don't really want the server to have a direct connection to the internet, but I do want the virtual PC to have "direct connection". And I think it will act like 2 computer connected out of the 1 Lan connection, so the network will think there is two devices connected.

Also what Virtual Program would you suggest for Untangle VMware or Virtual Box?

Master Untangler

if you are talking about vmware server, then neither. if you want to virtualize go ESXi. save yourself some grief later on.

you'll need three nics. one for the server 2k8 and two for the ut. Unless you want traffic from separate networks traveling on the same wire(which diminishes security).

Not to mention performance... ESXi just doesn't run right unless the network interface used my the management system is dedicated. Put the VMs on their own vSwitch connected to separate interfaces.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks for the quick responses.

Does ESXi cost money? This is just for my house, and if it does I am guessing it will cost more then I am willing to pay or can afford. Is there like a educational version I could get if it does cost money?

I will haft to look in to getting a third network card, My server has expansion slots but they don't look like anything I have seen on normal computers, they are a lot longer then the PCI slots, they are green and have 1 notch about 1-2 centimeters in then another notch close to the end of the slot.
    I have only been used to home equipment not enterprise stuff. Still learning.

ESXi has a free option, it's an OS in and of itself that does virtualization. The free version is limited to a single physical CPU, and you will need 64bit capable hardware to even try.

If you have a home network and you want something to provide some tinker space... you honestly can't do better than ESXi, it's the beating heart of my testing bench and I can't remember what it was like testing software without it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

i have 3 esxi boxes running here right now....i love to tinker and esxi is the best option i have found...bar none

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    ESXi has a free option, it's an OS in and of itself that does virtualization. The free version is limited to a single physical CPU, and you will need 64bit capable hardware to even try.

If you have a home network and you want something to provide some tinker space... you honestly can't do better than ESXi, it's the beating heart of my testing bench and I can't remember what it was like testing software without it.
    Darn, the server I have has 2 CPUs I don't know if they are 64 Bit or not. It is rebuilding a RAID 5 array at the moment so it is unavailable for a few hours tell it is finished. The CPUs seams very similar to the P4 with hyper threading and a 3.4GHz on the speed, what is the best way to check to see if it is 64Bit compatible or not?

ESXi does sound like fun to play with, I might put out some old harddrives to try it on my desktop.

esxi free is two physical cpu's with as many cores per cpu as you can muster. So a 6 core processor will utilize all 6 cores. Just as an aside. I have dual quads in my host and i have access to all 8 cores across both sockets.
    Last edited by hescominsoon; 10-14-2010 at 01:05 PM.

One physical CPU, the two CPU thing is a trial of the full version and it quits after 30 days. Put the ESXi free perpetual license in it and it's only 1 CPU, with 6 cores. Granted I think the system is lacking enforcement... but be legal please. You're only legally authorized to use 1 physical CPU as per the license agreement.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast