Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm not going to respond to your ludicrous statements, but please stop making things up. People see the large post count and assume you know what you're talking about.

PM me your UID and I will make sure it doesn't get pushed upgrades.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

PCS
    Master Untangler

Though entertaining, I think this thread is going in the wrong direction. Sky-Knight is always good at stirring the pot.

I personally do not have a problem with the release schedule. It shows me that people are working hard on the project. The upgrade process is one of the easiest and problem free I have worked with. The few issues I have encountered have been minor and resolved quickly. Even the big boys have issues on updates with an antivirus signature crashing machines to a Microsoft update breaking things. Off all the software upgrades I deal with, Untangle has been the most headache free.

That being said, it is stupid to have any production machine on automatic upgrades. I always wait at least a month before upgrading a customer's system for any software unless it is a critical patch.

That is my

Suscribe 101%
    As part of our work is the good configuration of devices that manage, upgrades included.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangler

Just my

There is a difference between Program Updates and Definition updates.

Program updates can have a larger impact on service if something fails unexpectedly.

Definition updates are a bit more benign and its preferred to have them updated automatically.

So as a rule of thumb, I don't update Program's automatically on anything that has that ability. I always wait a month and watch for feedback from other people who may have run into issues.

I don't always have the luxury of running a better or backup copy for testing purposes in a sandbox environment.

Program updates are Untangle's automatic updates. I have them disabled on every production machine.

It's impossible, short of disconnecting Untangle from the Internet to disable definition updates.

So turn off auto-updates, be aware of the release schedule, if you need a new feature upgrade early. That way you can pick when the upgrade happens, and be in control and test things to ensure the device works properly.

And Dirk, that is uncalled for. I'm makings things up?!? So prove my point for me, when is 8.1 going to be released?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralEclectic View Post
    WHERE are you getting "9"? It's one thing to disagree (I can clone a nearly empty disk in 10 minutes, I do it all the time) but when you're making up strawman numbers to disagree with, it kinda stops making sense.
    Wow. This is getting heated for no real reason.

The 9 in this case equals the number of times you perform the upgrade where nothing bad happens. So, 9 times you've taken the server down for the cloning when it wasn't needed.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler

Mine are a mix of automatic and manual, only have had issues on one release, and it struck my own and a few customers, turned a few to manual at that time, some of them never had issues, of course each install is somewhat unique (i.e. varied physical network, varied original version of Untangle installed from ISO), and that one "major" issue was solved in minutes by the support guru's (after me having wasted hours trying to turn back the clock and downgrade.

Have about 15 live installs running, other than that upgrade had a couple virtual instances that got oversized log files and didn't want to come back up, and accidentally deleted the virtual drives of a couple as well, I've created more issues than the upgrades have.

If it is important then yes, turn of automatic upgrade, back it up (config backup) regularly, oh wait if you have support this happens automatically... offsite even.... and do the manual update, and if you have issues, support will be there.

Master Untangler

Default 7:38

That's what it took to boot Clonezilla and create a full disk image onto a reasonably fast UFD. That's after playing with Clonezilla on a lab machine just to become familiar with it and excluding the time it takes to shutdown and restart Untangle. If you include the shutdown and restart, it's probably another two minutes or so, therefore it's still under the 10-minute goal.

Clonezilla is pretty nice. Ugly, but nice. I'll probably relegate Ghost to the dustbin of history.

As someone above suggested I did turn off automatic updates and sure enough, not even a half-day later, V8 appeared on the updates page. Think I'll let it mature for a couple of weeks, then re-enable updates.

OpenDNS is a domain database, not an URL database.

I'm going to upgrade my unit soon, I had to fix the backup on mine. I forgot to apply the 7.4 backup patch, so I went to pull a backup and SPLAT!

Also, my unit is running flat out of ram, so I may just wait until I can get a 2gb dual channel kit here. The box is a world busier than it used to be, and I don't need it crapping out because it paged the wrong thing.

Still, the usual forum fire from a new version has only revealed a GUI bug so far. The rest just seems to be the usual world ending stuff that has nothing to do with the update, but people will still think it is.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast