Thread: Headless

Untangler

Default Headless

Hi,

Been running SmoothWall for a while, but run into some reliability issues recently, so I thought I would give Untangle a go....

First question is can it be run headless (no monitor, mouse, keyboard) once the initial installation is completed ? (internal web interface...?)

Second question, does the web filter application perform content scanning, or just URL based blocking ?

Thanks.
    Phil.

Assuming the machine on which you install UT can handle not having a keyboard plugged into it (some won't boot that way), then yes you can run completely headless after the initial installation. No issues. You might want to make sure all is running properly before taking it headless of course. Also, make sure you set up either internal or remote access for SSH just to make sure that you can administer the system should something go wrong (as part of this, before taking the system headless, set up a root password by clicking on the terminal icon on the console -- if you don't, you won't be able to log in via SSH).

As for the second question, it's URL-based, but you can also filter out certain MIME types, set up exceptions, etc. Others may be able to provide a more detailed answer on this one.

Untangler

Everything up and running, nice simple install :-)

Very impressed so far, and my internal machines feel more responsive on the internet that with the SmoothWall in place.

Looks like no content scanning module is available though...?

Cheers.
    Phil.

Look at the eSoft Web Filter (paid app). The standard (free) web filter is as I described. The eSoft filter is MUCH more advanced and just plugs in. There is a Free Trial available. Just look at the sidebar of your web-UI for UT and you'll see it listed. Click on "More Info".
    Quote Originally Posted by tescophil
    ...my internal machines feel more responsive on the internet that with the SmoothWall in place...
    I've used SmoothWall before. I agree wholeheartedly regarding speed and (especially) ease-of-use!
    Last edited by AngelKnight; 01-04-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Clarity

Untangler

Yep, spotted that one, but i'm too tight to fork out 175/year on a licence..., 20 maybe... ;-)

Phil.