Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I dont think Untangle fit in the best option for your needs. Its a UTM.
    You need a distro more oriented to routing like pfsense or microtik or vayatta.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangler

i using just 6 nics now. i did a complete reset to default in untangle and now it set up the nics as one external one internal, one dmz bridged to external and eth4 bridged to external and eth5 bridged to external .

what i wondering is if i use the the 2 wireless connected to eth4 and eth5 and in able there dhcp . this would take the wireless load off tangle. do you think this would work ??
    Last edited by untangleme; 02-23-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    I dont think Untangle fit in the best option for your needs. Its a UTM.
    You need a distro more oriented to routing like pfsense or microtik or vayatta.
    wow thank a lot

He isn't far off...

How much Internet bandwidth are you talking about? Are these streams for Internal network use or Public use?

I find it hard to believe you have enough Internet to necessitate multiple gigabit links to servers that are streaming.

Honestly, he's right. You should be using vayatta or something similar to give you the massive interface rich router you need to consolidate your multiple internal segments. Then, from there use a two or three interface Untangle to protect Internet access.

Heck, you could do all this from a good managed switch!

The network you're describing just doesn't appear to be well thought out. Untangle can do what you ask, but it isn't going to be particularly good at it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Why on earth would you want to route or bridge (with a software bridge) traffic that a hardware switch has problems handling?

If you have servers that need to talk to clients, place those clients and servers on the same network. This is basic network design.

Trying to send that traffic through an Untangle is counter productive. If you insist on doing that, make sure the traffic is bypassed otherwise this is all going to fall down.

If you're insistent on routing this traffic (again: why do you want to do this?) then you're going to be better served with running something that is layer 3 only, like a monowall or vyatta.

Maybe you should give us some idea of what you're trying to accomplish (in general english terms) and we can guide you better.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

sorry guys for the delay . we are in the middle of upgrading all the computers to xeons . my luck the hardware i now have to run untangle on is a x3470 with 8 gigs of ecc, reg, ram or x3550 with 6 gigs ecc ram first impressions of untangle running on the x3470 night to day. at least with the install. LOL

We believe the problem may have been the servers for it would happen with hardware routers and switches of any kind not just untangle . thank you for you help you opened my eyes to a hole new world . building computers for 35 years and untangle is the coolest i seen in a long time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12