Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default help with 10 lans in one untangle router

untangle set up one Ethernet as external and one as internal . now i have 8 more Ethernet ports in the computer i would like to use like a hardware router . i tried settings under configuration network from "bridge" to internal or "static" on the extra lans with no luck . untangle does see the hardware and hook up but there's no Internet access to the extra lans. only the one internal lan works and then if i bridge them it stops working . i don't understand help please
    some specs
    Intel Core i5-760
    ASUS P7F-M motherboard
    onboard video
    4 gigs ram
    ocz 60 ssd
    2 x Intel E1G44ET
    connected eqwitment
    2 x PoE Access Points
    slingbox
    2 x servers
    2 x workstations
    i been running it for a few weeks with a 8 port HPpro manageable switch to the internal lan and it runs circles around any router i ever used . i would like to cut out the switch and run directly from untangle as a router . can this be don ?

i think there is a limit of the nics that untangle and the ip tables will allow to work

if i remember right it is i think a max of 7 and after that there will be conflicts in ip tables
    Last edited by adrianp918; 02-21-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added info

to also answer your question, if you put the switch in place and use it as a default untangle box it will be acting as a router,

are you wanting it to handle the traffic flow also? and act as the switch, IMO i think using a switch would take the stress off of untangle

Untangler

oops sorry. i used the switch hooked up to untangle and it ran decent .
    i would like to try to use just untangle. no switch . is there anyway that i can use untangle as a router with say 7 nics ? i tried it with 6 nics and cant even get 2 to work
    we have a lot of video streaming and trying to free up bandwidth across more nics

both servers stream video and we need more speed
    Last edited by untangleme; 02-21-2011 at 11:56 PM.

i think your confusing the jobs of what each piece may be doing, untangle is the router, handling of the dchp, and firewall...etc.....and as far as the network goes i would think you would want the dispatching of information in and out left to a switch...after all that is its purpose.....i think it would be a good set up if you had your modem inline , then your untangle, then your switch, then your equipment,

if network slowdown is the issue then i would say look at upgrading your network hardware, maybe cat6 cable, and gigabit network through out, and see where that takes you

Untangler

We are all intel gigabit , the 2 x 4 x intel pci-e in 16x slots These are the top of the line intel adapter $950 for the pair . I though they be better at handling as a router with independent 1 gigabit nics. Where a switch has all threw put to one nic to untangle . Uncompressed hdtv takes a lot of bandwidth . Now the servers take up all the bandwidth to the point that just simple web browsing is slow

To some this up why can't I use untangle like a hardware router like dlink cisco or netgear , you know dlink has some fast expensive routers but they can lock up over time and slowdown and need reboots every other to or week . I spent a few thousand on a few of them .Where I found the untangle is able to recover even from an Internet problem and be faster . god I love that

Yes Untangle is limited to 7 physical interfaces. As to why yours don't work... well that's a hardware compatibility problem you'll have to work out.

Untangle is a UTM, and lacks some major features on layer 3 to make this easily doable.

That said if your network doesn't have any other routers besides Untangle, I've found it works really well. Just at some point you're going to need another router and start stacking aliases up on an Untangle interfaces to get more room.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

thanks all for your help
    just one last question . could at at least use 3 or 4 nics from untangle just for the main servers . then use a switch for the rest .

i like to read if any one knows of any info patenting to setting up a few nics for routing . i could give am own ip address or what ever ? untangle's help menu does not go into enough detail

again thanks for your responses

You want 4 servers to have their own dedicated NIC on the UT server?

Is there a reason to this?
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

Untangler

yes 4 nics dedicated to the servers

WHY... we are streaming 24 channels each server of HDTV running 24/7 there is just not enough badwidth . even pro switches have problems with it . One gigabit is not enough for all the servers

i thought that dedicated nics may better handle badwith and when adding a server. a few times a server would loose badwith unable to stream .a few times i have had to disconnect the running servers in order for untangle to see the new sever .this is down time that i would like to avoid
    Last edited by untangleme; 02-22-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast