Thread: High Avability

Default High Avability

Is there a way to create a HA cluster with Untangle?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Jim and I have active-passive failover working with Untangle in router mode... but it isn't officially supported and we can only pull it off with specific NG series appliances.

There is a way to get true HA if you wrap Untangle in VMWare's vSphere platform and use your head.

But directly? No, other than support for certain fail open cards, there are no HA or HA-like options for Untangle.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

ahh... Dangit. Well I sure wish that it would be a feature.

I guess you could create an active/passive depending on the way that you configured the networking appliances above the Untangle box as well. In an environment when an HA cluster is used with HA load balance, HA webservers, and HA databases, it would be very nice to be able to have a HA firewall too.

The NG 100 seems to be the first in the series to support it.

Do you think there is any hopes of this ever being introduced as a feature of Untangle?

I think that reality is based on us getting a working prototype of the technology required. Jim and I have made it work in a lab... but that isn't the same deal as a live run, much less something we can put a development scope on and turn into a feature.

The issues get even stranger when you get into the idea of doing active-active failover, that's your full cluster. Without a central management console to act as a configuration repository and management server... how do you coordinate the configuration changes among 'n' devices?

I know it's on the wish list, but it's one of those things we aren't likely to see any time soon.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com