Default Newbie <-- Install question

I want to install UT (obviously) at home. I would like to put it between my ISP and my wireless router. Will I need to put duel nics on the UT box and how do I configure duel nics?

I can figure it out but I thought I would ask. I have never had to configure a duel nic server.

Thanks

Yes you will need 2 NIC's. Setting up the 2 NIC's is pretty simple, during installation, just have the cable from your ISP Modem to 1 of the NIC's, then once you get to the installation page to configure the NIC's, you will see which one is "green", move that to the External, then continue onward with the install (after you know which NIC is which, you can plug in the other one to the Switch/Router/Hub.

Then you need to decide if you are going to use UT as a router or in bridge mode.

You will have to consider what you want to do with your wireless router, if you leave it as a router, you will end up with double NAT (if you put UT in router mode as well), or consider the other security options if you turn it into just an AP.

You can also look at the quick start guide and user guide under the wiki

Welcome to the forums!

1- regardless of install mode, you need at least 2 NICs.

2- if you want to put UT at the border, then you are installing in router mode. UT will assign one of the interfaces as external and the other as internal. Once the install is completed, if you are unsure about the interfaces, you can verify which is which in the networking screen. You don't have much config to do, other than plug the right cable in the right NIC.

3- If you are going to connect your wireless router after UT, then you will need to use it as a simple access point. To do that, connect to one of the LAN ports. DO NOT use the WAN port on the wireless router. Also, disable any DHCP function in the wireless router. UT will take care of this function. In addition, I would disable any routing function in the wireless router.

Hope this helps.

Have fun!

LD

edit: oh darn! Raditude beat me to the finish.
    Last edited by Louisd; 03-14-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Thank you both for your thorough replies. That helps me understand the setup completely so thank you. I will be building a machine here shortly so I will refer to these posts to help guide me. Thank you both again! Awesome Job

Untanglit

Is it possible to do 2 external interfaces with one wan port
    I am guessing you have to have the premium to do this?

I have 1 external 1 wan and 1 dmz but will not use the dmz
    is it possible to turn that into a external interface

Quote Originally Posted by HopeRadio View Post
    I have 1 external 1 wan and 1 dmz but will not use the dmz
    is it possible to turn that into a external interface
    yes, you need to check the 'is WAN interface' checkbox.