rm: can not remove rm /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run
    /etc/init.d/ssh start : no such file or directory

rm: can not remove {start} no such file or directory
    For one that is two commands:

Code:
    rm /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/ssh start
    Looks like it tried to do them both as one command and puked.

Though back to the other problem, what does a "traceroute updates.untangle.com" get you from the Untangle box?
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

You have an issue that is specific to that implementation. Through the course of this thread we've established that APT is showing intermittent DNS errors. If you had such an error, or other whacky issue during an upgrade your only real choice is to pave the box.

Untangle can't fix a broken internet connection.

The other issues you've revealed regarding an issue enabling SSH further indicates a deep corruption in the file system.

THAT INSTALLATION IS HOSED, cut your losses and pave it.

P.S. It's your job as a reseller to support your customers. It isn't Untangle's job to do that... not unless the customer pays for a support bundle. I see Untangle doing nothing wrong here. As a reseller they will provide you with solid advice on how to handle the situation, but they are there to ask questions and bounce ideas. They aren't there to hold your hand.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Not sure how sky's comment could possible be construed as rude....I have read it a number of times now and just don't see it. He speaks the truth, if you buy say an OEM licence for Windows server 2008, build a machine with it, then resell it to someone YOU are responsible for supporting the OS, not Microsoft.

That fact aside though (and the fact that you completely ignored my other post) I do actually have another thought. Assuming that your filesystem is intact (did you get SSH to start?) then I'm starting to wonder if it's not a faulty NIC. Had something similar happen with my Astaro box. The WAN interface was dropping packets left and right and finally replacing the NIC solved the problem. Have you tried another NIC in the box? What about letting it ping something (say Google) overnight and seeing what the packet loss is?
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

You also mentioned you are on a T1. Is it terminating at a Cisco or similar device? Have you checked to see if the T1 is throwing any errors? Had this happen also, one T1 of a load balanced pair was throwing errors and we had to call the telco. Turned out water had gotten in the cable so they switched us over to a different pair and that cleared the errors up (and also fixed our web browsing weirdness).
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by logicsound View Post
    k, thanks for your reply dbunyard, I did read it and I am going to try a traceroute soon and your other suggestions.

when someone tells me that I am not supporting my customers and accusing me of needing my hand held I consider that rude, and there was no need to for it.
    To me, from everything I have seen in your posts, it seems like packet loss is a likely culprit. Now I'm assuming that the box isn't totally borked (which could still be the problem). I have seen faulty hardware though cause the problems that you appear to be seeing.

I still have that faulty NIC around here somewhere, lol. It's not dead per-say but it can't seem to achieve throughputs above about 100kbps (yes bits). I think it took lightning. All the operating systems I have chucked it in believe it's fine but it just doesn't perform. It was fine up until one day when it just puked out of the blue.

The point I'm trying to make, again assuming that the UT operating system is sound, is that this looks like a packet loss problem to me.

Just my though
    Dan

we're on the forums if and when we have free time - the forums are not and most likely never will be an official channel for support.

we're also currently pretty busy doing a lot of things, such as getting our new office ready, sorting through all our equipment, planning out the how and whens of the move.

even though there are posts from Untangle employees on almost every page of this thread, i apologize that we did not give you free support in a timely enough manner.

Quote Originally Posted by hlarsen View Post
    we're on the forums if and when we have free time - the forums are not and most likely never will be an official channel for support.

we're also currently pretty busy doing a lot of things, such as getting our new office ready, sorting through all our equipment, planning out the how and whens of the move.

even though there are posts from Untangle employees on every page of this thread, i apologize that we did not give you enough free support in a timely enough manner.
    *chuckles* Couldn't have put it better myself. The staff (graciously) volunteers to help those (us) on the forums. The are only paid to support those that pay for UT.

I am not an employee, just to clarify...and neither is sky as it turns out. But I believe that the staff does an incredible job giving support for UT, both paid support and free support.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by logicsound View Post
    Wow! I love it! you reply so you can give me a sarcastic comment but not to help me! Very professional!
    Insulting the people that are trying to help you isn't usually a good idea.....

Just a piece of advice.
    Last edited by dbunyard; 03-24-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    Dan

@logicsound: If you are a paying customer, please call our customer support line.

Based on the output you've posted, it appears that box does have disk corruption.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

you can ping updates in untangle.com?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast