Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    If devices from one subnet are communicating with devices in another subnet, then yes, you will instantly gain performance for those links.
    Magical words them are We have network performance issues, but we think that might be from a loop or two (the office floor here is a mess with this desktop switches) and have to have Spanning Tree on to keep it working. I would rather not have the loops and turn STP off as well.

Untangle has the best reporting of any product that I have looked at and tested, I just could not get it to work.
    Last edited by don_bedlam; 04-28-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Don't turn off spanning tree. Ever.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

Don't turn off spanning tree. Ever.
    True, but I would like to not HAVE to have it on. I turn it off and there is a network storm like crazy

Does your switch's spanning tree have any logging? It should at least be able to direct you to the port the loop is attached to.

And yes, spanning tree is your friend. Most of my networks don't have it. So when this happens I get to pull plugs out of the core switch one at a time until the broadcast storm stops.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I was poking around looking for STP logging. Not that I can find. I have a bunch of HP Procurves and then two Netgear (I was not here and would have stood on my head to prevent them being purchased) that support STP.

Let me flip this around, why on earth would you *not* have spanning tree running?

It costs nothing, requires not configuration, and protects your network for from folks who do things like plug in hubs twice "to make them faster."
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

It DOES cost something. Not everyone has switches in place that have that feature. Unmanaged layer 2 devices don't support that protocol.

Depends on the market you're working in. You're used to that Untangle datacenter, I'm dealing with SMBs. Not the same gig.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    It DOES cost something. Not everyone has switches in place that have that feature. Unmanaged layer 2 devices don't support that protocol.
    That's not a reason to turn it off, which was my question. Clearly, only managed switches have spanning tree, but if your switch doesn't have it, the question isn't germane.

You don't need to have every device in your network support spanning tree, even just having it in one helps prevent a broadcast storm from taking down the network.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Ahh now that is true, if you have it there is no reason to not have it on. On that note I'm still trying to figure out why my new trendnet "smart" switch had spanning tree, and broadcast storm protection disabled by default.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Let me flip this around, why on earth would you *not* have spanning tree running?

It costs nothing, requires not configuration, and protects your network for from folks who do things like plug in hubs twice "to make them faster."
    What I meant is I would prefer to not have network loops. Our network is not large, 70 desktops, 15 or so servers, a 70 or so development kits for PS3 and Xbox 360. It is a mess because I cannot get the funding to get enough (or even close to it) proper network drops.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast