Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Download of apps fail after installation

I have installed untangle and repeatedly recieved this error right after installation completes and i have to download apps

com.untangle.uvm.toolbox.MackageInstallException:
    com.untangle.uvm.toolbox.MackageException: ut-apt install predictInstall exited with 1

How the hell do i resolve this as i have followed these threads to no avail

There is an error in /var/log/uvm/apt.log that will explain what is happening.

It's an ERROR you're looking for, not a warning. The warning about expected stable but got... is normal.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Start with the obvious, get on the Untangle Terminal, open the client, and use the browser window to surf the net. If you cannot get to random websites, your UT doesn't have a working IP configuration. Adjust External to something appropriate.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

External IP config is correctly set, I can go to any random site and surf the net quite perfectly. Still cant download any apps, recieve the same error. Tried apt-get -f install after reading the log at /var/log/uvm/apt.log. The log show the downloads succeed but right at the bottom it starts giving a load of errors of "unmet dependecies".

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The log show the downloads succeed but right at the bottom it starts giving a load of errors of "unmet dependecies".
    Can you post the log file?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

How do I do that other than typing it word for word as I read it? I re-installed the server from scratch again and started downloading the apps one by one, which seemed to work until i got to the virus blocker/phish blocker/spam blocker. Then its the same error again. Tried apt-get update, apt-get -f install after rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives, all to no avail

Recommend turning on SSH and using a utility like putty to remote into your box. You can highlight and paste stuff at that point between your workstation and the UT terminal window.

Or just find the two or three lines from the UT box that are showing an error:
    1) click terminal on UT desktop
    2) pico or nano or vi (if you like pain),
    pico /var/log/uvm/apt.log
    3) locate where you started an update process and search CTRL+W or manually scan each line looking for lines starting with [ERROR]

Let us know what those lines say. If you have SSH and putty you can highlight and paste the information.

Either way SSH should be turned off or secured once your done. By default root is allowed login.
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

WinSCP is even easier than putty when it comes to viewing, editing, and copy/pasting from files. You still need SSH open to use it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Okay, I enabled ssh (learning quite a bit of linux here hehe) and connected via putty. Here is the results from /var/log/uvm/apt.log

The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libclamav6 untangle-casing-mail
    0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    13 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/4384kB of archives.
    After this operation, 11.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
    (Reading database ... 45066 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking untangle-casing-mail (from

.../untangle-casing-mail_8.1.1~svn20110217r28510release8.1-1lenny_all.deb) ...
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    dpkg: error processing

/var/cache/apt/archives/untangle-casing-mail_8.1.1~svn20110217r28510release8.1-1lenny_all.de

b (--unpack):
    short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during

`./usr/share/untangle/toolbox/untangle-casing-mail-localapi.jar')
    Unpacking libclamav6 (from .../libclamav6_0.96.3+dfsg-2~volatile1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libclamav6_0.96.3+dfsg-2~volatile1_i386.deb

(--unpack):
    short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/libclamav.so.6.1.5')
    Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/untangle-casing-mail_8.1.1~svn20110217r28510release8.1-1lenny_all.de

b
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libclamav6_0.96.3+dfsg-2~volatile1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    done 1308310140347

It also runs apt-get update to fix these problems, but fails with a error but unfortunately i cant post that as this forum wont allow me yet.
    Hope this can help as i have no clue anymore on what the problem could be

"short read in buffer_copy"

My guess would be its a bad disk or someone between you and untangle messing with downloads.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast