Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wan Connection Dropping

I recently setup an untangle box. Not able to find a reason, but almost every 15 minutes I lose outbound internet connectivity. This is just in a test environment at this time so there's not a lot of traffic on the network. I'm able to ping the untangle box from inside the network with out an issue. I've already swapped both nics to see if that was the problem. The connection drop is was appearing on 1/4 hours for a few days, though it isn't now. Looks to be a bit more random, thought still the intervals of outage seem to have some pattern when I graph them. It may be the ISP (brighthouse) but the regular intervals are throwing me off. I've already tried disabling all apps except the ones i'm using (openvpn/firewall). 32 Bit Arch. Can provide more detail just ask. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The outage is sometimes just a few seconds usually, though have gone on for a few minutes.

Hardware specs?
    Any errors showing up on the NICs when you do a ifconfig from the terminal?
    Bridge or router? (sounds like router)
    Is the external interface have the "is wan" checked?
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

Thanks for the reply :-)

I think that was a Dell Optiplex 755 w/ 2 gig of ram
    Don't have enough posts to post a link yet.

Set up as a router. Wan is checked on the external nics. Can't run ifconfig or verify the model number till I get back into the office. Didn't set ssh up on the box yet.

I'm thinking its an issue with the ISP at this point. I have a few tests running over the weekend to see if it is dropping pings and where.

only one external nic can be wan..that's probably why it's dropping. if you have wan balance purchased and have two wan connections only check wan box on the one that is actually connected to your isp. also nic make and models please.

Untangle Ninja

it's fine to have more than 1 NIC checked as WAN, all that setting really does is enable NAT on that interface (without WAN Balancer and/or Failover, two WAN connections may not do what you expect though). The question though is why do you have 2 or more external NICs but mention only 1 isp? Please explain your configuration better.

Don't think the I got the message across right. 4 nics in the box. 2 are in use. One has wan checked. No others do. The third nic is the onboard one. Can't find a way in the gui to totally disable it, but nothing plugged into it.
    Last edited by mheckmann; 06-19-2011 at 10:30 AM.

makes and models of the nics?

Make sure you don't have your spare nics set to bridge, sometimes certain interfaces don't like that configuration. Set them static and use a 192.168.x.1/24 that you aren't using elsewhere.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

We need much more information about the setup.

Are you running DHCP on Untangle?
    Are you running DNS on Untangle?
    Are you using default settings or any specific rules?
    Has Untangle always performed this way for you? Or did these issues just arise unexpectedly?

When your WAN connection drops, login to Untangle and perform a ping test against google.com to see if your DNS is properly converting hostnames to an IP.

Double check with your ISP during the times you lost connection to verify its not an issue at their end.

Won't have the make and models of the nics available until tomorrow.

DHCP,DNS are off. I'll try the setting the dead nics to static with an address in a subnet I haven't used.

I can't ping google, yahoo, 4.2.2.2, or 8.8.8.8 when the network is out. Firewall has all the defaults.

This is a new untangle box, so I can't tell you how it has performed in the past.

At this point, untangle appears to be functioning correctly and the ISP is misbehaving. We have a metro-e connection at the location with a different provider. I'm going to see about switching over to that and see if the issue goes away.

Btw, thanks for all the responses. Greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by mheckmann; 06-19-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast