Untanglit

Default java maxes out my cpu @ 100%

I put my Untangle on my P67 i3-2100T (2.5GHz) but java still maxes out at 100%. Does the java module multithread? I see other process with /0, /1, /2, /3 after them like they are threaded, but java has no such identifier.

Am I going to need a faster processor to keep up or will java actually use more cores? My system still seems to be bogged down a little, but not as much as on my old 939 single core chip @ 2.5GHz.

-=Mark=-

I would say something is wrong, but without details of what your hardware is specifically, and a comparison of what is going through the Untangle server... I can't say anything for certain. Java is Untangle. So something in your rack is sucking up the CPU, and this is generally a symptom of Untangle being asked to scan too much.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Sorry, forgot to say I was stress testing, I'm asking UnTangle to do too much on purpose. I'm downloading PinGuy OS, which is through torrents, and it's taxing it pretty good, but it is a light load for a torrent. even right now I have it only doing one torrent and java is only about 25% with an occasional 50% spike. There are only 500ish sessions open at the moment, but it can pass 1,000 with ease. It's not often I use it, but a few games require it. I think steam is using it now, or at least a few of their games.

I just put it on my H55N i3-550 (3.2Hz) and it's staying about 75% under a full load. which is a little better and my speeds max out at almost 30Mbps peak and a good 30Mbps combined up/down load speed.

but even trying to reply to this message it timed out a couple of times and only a light load about 15Mbps D/L, and upload was maybe 1Mbps which uploads give me troubles if I max them out.

Other than torrents, everything seems fine. was just hoping that java would multithread to give me a little more umph. But it should be fine. I can always throttle down my speeds when needed.

now hopefully ESXi won't hurt performance when figure how to get that working. Plus I plan to install pfSense and WHS 2011 on it as well, I have a feeling I may need to upgrade to a quad core if I want all this on one machine. btw, do the hyper-thread cores help much in UnTangle or even ESXi? I don't want to do an unnecessary upgrade or overkill it.

Thanks for the help
    -=Mark=-

There are so many things wrong with what you're doing that all I can really say is a basic warning.

You're preparing to jump off a cliff, without a parachute. You're going to have a very nice view of the bottom, but only for a brief moment before you splatter all over the landscape.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com