Default newbie. have some questions.

Hi. I'm currently using endian, and am thinking of switching to untangle or vyatta. I have a few questions though, I hope someone can give their input or suggestions.

1. can untangle do BGP? Right now we have a network drop to our switch directly from our upstream provider. From there, we have endian in place to do NAT. We are growing fast, and would probably be getting our own ASN soon, hence I'm asking about BGP (i'm new to this as well). Can untangle handle it or do I need to have a router in front (vyatta in front, then untangle as firewall?).

2. can untangle do subnetting? say i have a /24 assigned to me, and I want to assign multiple /32s or /30s. Can untangle take care of this? Again, new to this firewall. Been using endian and I don't think endian can do it, as we are strictly using endian to NAT.

any suggestions on deployment please are very welcome.

Thanks

welcome to the forums.

1) no BGP.

2) sure. I assure you endian can probably do this too.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks for the reply.

If I want BGP, it would be best to have vyatta or a cisco router in front then right?

Regarding subnetting, in endian, I just place the public IPs i have in the internet devices. I assume it's the same with untangle? If I do that, how do I subnet then to multiple /30 or /32s

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

If I want BGP, it would be best to have vyatta or a cisco router in front then right?

Regarding subnetting, in endian, I just place the public IPs i have in the internet devices. I assume it's the same with untangle? If I do that, how do I subnet then to multiple /30 or /32s
    Yes, cisco or vyatta would be fine.

I'm not sure of your second question. You can split up your network however you like.
    You just need to give each interface the appropriate IPs with appropriate netmasks.
    /32 is not a valid subnet. /30 is the minimum I would suggest. If you're just doing plain routing you will need to disable NAT. I would also use the 9.0 ISO posted somewhere on this forum not 8.1 for this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Thanks!!!!

One last question. Since I'm using endian now and my public IPs are in 1 network interface (provider assigned me a bunch of /25s), how do I do the same with untangle? Do I need multiple WAN interfaces? I want to be able to assign customer's sub-blocks where they have their own IP and Gateway specific to them, and not using my gateway from my /25s. how do I do this with untangle? coz right now I just assign customers random IPs and tell them to use my subnet and main gateway (hassle when someone tries to use another IP not assigned to them).

again thanks!! This is my first venture in untangle and I've already received more replies than with my questions in endian for a couple years now lol...

I'm not sure I understand your questions. :/

But here is my guess:
    You can give interfaces as many aliases as you like. If you would like to have one interface share multiple /25 segments thats fine. You can also put them on separate interfaces (plugged into the same switch) if you'd like to.

ok i'm sold. will download the ISO and set it up