Thread: TCP failed

Untangler

Default TCP failed

I'd like to add some information to the discussion concerning getting the message "TCP failed". Hopefully the more information the better the chance someone will be able to give a definitive resolution.

I've been using UT for a few years on an old compaq proliant DL 360 G2 with 1 PIII 2g ram, internal nics, at&t dsl pppoe, ut version 8.1-1, it's for my home. I decided to try and upgrade to a P4. got a hp D530 sff, P4 2.6Mhz, 1.5GB ram. 1 internal nic, 1 compatible extra nic. Installation goes fine. start the configuration and enter the pppoe information, run the connectivity test, runs fine. finish installation and then i get the "tcp failed" connection. ut version 8.1-1. I can reboot the modem, reboot the ut server same result. if i unplug the P4 and plug in the G2 everything works.

Since this isn't a critical system, I'd be glad to run any tests if that would help resolve the issue. I'm reasonably competent with linux/unix.

NICs are good on new box?
    Do they both show as active in the networking page? (green LED with correct bandwidth setting 10/100/1000)
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

Untangler

yes both cards show green lights. The curious thing for me is that it passed connectivity during setup, what happens between config and apps download?

Not much, all that test is doing is using the configuration on External to run some tests against Untangle's datacenter.

So if TCP fails, that means for whatever reason the IP configuration on external cannot get online.

App installation doesn't change this at all, it just adds the apps.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

sky-night, I didn't mean what does the download of apps do, i am asking what events take place between the time the script configures the external and internal connections and then tries to contact to the apps store. Also when it tests connectivity after you enter the external information, what test does it do? is there a log or a file i could examine or post that would be helpful?

The first boot wizard doesn't do anything but configure the IP address on External, determine if internal is bridged to external or not (bridge vs router), enabled DHS/DHCP or not (again bridge vs router), the registration information, and e-mail configuration.

If you cannot download apps, the "test" is to get on the UT console, open the admin console, use that copy of iceweasel to browse the web. If you cannot browse the web from there, your external interface doesn't have a proper IP configuration.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Possible explanation for PPPOE problems. I went to the troubleshooting tab and tested DNS, and traceroute. did a ping using the IP address, everything worked. tried to connect to store.untangle.com got the TCP failed. I remembered somewhere in one of the threads someone asking about whether the ISP could be blocking but that didn't make sense because the other UT server worked. HOWEVER, what I forgot was that a year maybe a couple of years ago my ISP changed my router password. I had to use a windows machine to let the ISP's software attempt to reset the new router then fail, then give me the new router password.
    Hopefully this will jog others memory if they have the same issue. Installation complete, system up and running.
    A side note - I haven't played with the NICs to confirm this but I replaced both the internal nic and the odd nic i had with DLINK gigabit nics. the old ones appeared to work but i suspect they were not performing well. I'm going to leave the system alone for a week or two then try the original nics to see what happens