Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by automationstation View Post
    I don't understand what you are saying... if you use your ISP's DNS servers, aren't you using Public DNS Servers?

Are you talking about the Network configuration of the public side of your Untangle box? Or are you talking about the DNS Server settings on servers on the private side of your untangle box?
    When he says Public DNS servers, he's referring to internet wide DNS servers. Specifically it generally means Google's DNS servers, or OpenDNS's DNS servers (Wow say that 5 times fast).

Spamhaus has blacklisted lookups from those public services. They have done so because they break Spamhaus's billing model. The service is only free up until a certain number of lookups. Those free services generate hundreds of millions of lookups against their database.

So if you use the public DNS servers, know that you're killing the Spam module in the process. Fortunately it's trivial to have Untangle's DHCP service hand out different DNS servers to your clients. So you can have Untangle using the ISP, while passing OpenDNS to the clients for use. So you can have your cake and eat it too. It's even easier if you have an SBS server or other system on the network that can be a dedicated caching DNS service for your LAN.

Anyway, there is no reason why the use of public DNS services would have interrupted your ability to install Untangle or its modules. Unless your ISP is controlling outbound DNS traffic. I would say you have another issue aside from the DNS configuration that is really causing the connection difficulties.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

agreed SK actually ANY AD server not just sbs can work in the scenario you jsut offered.. HOwever our limited information about his hardware is going to limit the help we can give.

Untangler

It is an HP DL380 (3rd or 4th generation) with 4 gig of ram and three 72 GIG drives using the HP Raid Controller in RAID 5, motherboard nic for the public side and PCI-X NIC for the private side... this is the exact system that up until a few days ago, ran Untangle v8.1 like a dream.

Untangle Ninja

Automationstation,
    Try to look in the apt.log and see whats going on.

tail -f /var/logs/uvm/apt.log

it sounds like you have a hardware incompatibility w/v9.x. Do you have another machine you can try?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    it sounds like you have a hardware incompatibility w/v9.x. Do you have another machine you can try?
    I think you are right... it just doesn't want to load any applications. It did finish updating to v9.01. I am trying a totally different box now to see if that works better. Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to get out of town, but want to get this fixed before I go. Happy 4th!

the only thing i can think of trying is when i have had issues with newer software and older gear bios/firmware updates have been good fixes..if they are available.

Untangler

Using a different machine was the ticket... I guess even though v8.1.1 ran like a top, v9.01 does not like the HP DL380 server. It is an older server so no problem. Got a "newer" Dell 2600 which I will try next.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12