Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Initial Install Problem

I am attempting to install for the first time. I downloaded the file, created cd, ran cd, machine rebooted, in bootup process - screen goes blank, screen flashes, screen rolls, message - The server has failed to properly detect the video an monitor settings. Try restarting the server and selecting a different video-mode boot option from the boot menu.

I have used 3 different monitors, I have rebooted several times, I have used different modes. SAME RESULT.

Suggestions please

Try a different video card and/or monitor.

good luck. welcome.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

It is a built in Video Card. It is a Dell GX270. I have used two lcd monitors and one older Dell CRT monitor. Any thing I can do with what I am working with?

Quote Originally Posted by danser View Post
    It is a built in Video Card. It is a Dell GX270. I have used two lcd monitors and one older Dell CRT monitor. Any thing I can do with what I am working with?
    Try the other monitors.
    Power it off. Plug it in. Power it on. Wait. Repeat.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

It appears that UnTangle is very picky about the video. Is this correct? If so, what sort of video card do I need to make sure I have in the system?

I am using the onboard video in the machine. I can disable it and install another AGP card if I know what kind to get.

tks

What I forgot - I did as suggested. Unplug machine let set, plug in, power on, let IPL complete, etc. using different monitors. No difference. From my perspective - the OS is running in text on IPL which is fine, when it attempts to go to graphic display for the actual program is when there is an issue. The graphics of the actual UnTangle AP is where the problem arises.

tks

Untangle isn't what is picky. This is xorg, an X-Server implementation used on Linux, BSD, and Unix. The current versions of that software attempt to auto-configure themselves for convenience. That led to some issues with some hardware, so Untangle forcibly configures it to 1024x768 at 24bit color. This configuration works with any video hardware that is VESA compliant.

What you've discovered, is hardware that is not VESA compliant. And this is a very common issue with tier 1 OEM hardware. Dell, HP, Sony, etc.

That hardware was likely sold with no Linux support, so the features to allow it to function were removed. Linux attempts to get around this when it can, but without hardware vendor support it's a loosing fight.

If you haven't already try the "high resolution" boot option. That allows the XOrg service to reconfigure itself based on what it thinks it best. That may work where the failsafe failed. Also, make sure your video hardware has at least 8mb of video memory, or you're dead before you start. If it's on-board graphics check your BIOS for that setting. Some server grade hardware, and older main boards are limited to 1mb of video memory. These units are incompatible with Untangle's GUI.

Make sure you're running the most current BIOS for your main board... I'm running out of suggestions. It takes work to find a workable hardware solution.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

As the OS is booting, it says it failed to auto cfg., gives option to enter for options or space to continue. If I enter I get several video modes as options - I tried them all. If I space - It does pretty much the same. Where is an option for High Res boot?

Untangler

I am using Untangle 9.0 x86 and I am having this exact same issue. I am attempting to using on board video (Asus A7V400-MX with Via Unichrome 2D/3D according to manual) and that doesn't work. I have installed an AGP (the only one I have) and it doesn't work either. Realizing this is not an Untangle issue, is my only option to purchase a new video card?

Thanks
    CD

We need more specifics on what you've tried. That Asus board's unicrome graphics controller does work with Untangle. I've done it myself in the past. Please go into your BIOS and check how much video ram is allocated to the controller. Anything less than 8mb won't work.

I suspect the AGP card you installed has a similar limitation.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast