Untangler

Default Vmware esxi test server not conflict with production server

I assume this is possible as at one time, I had an Untangle Server running in VirtualBox.

I am attempting to get it an Untangle Test Server setup, that will not conflict with my live production server.

I currently have VMWare ESXi 4.1.0 running for test's. It is currently setup to be on the same network.

Can someone please provide a quick overview of how I can get a test server setup so that it will not conflict.

I recently tried installing it via the ISO into the server, and when it went to finanlize, before I put in an IP address or anything, everyone on my network started complaining about not being able to connect. I shut off the Untangle Test server in the VMWare ESXi, and everything went back to normal.

I assume that I would have WAN nic set to just another IP on my network with same gateway and dns entries so it can download the additional free add-on's. However, Untangle will only install if it has more than one NIC. On the ESXI server I tried adding another Virtual NIC and as mentioned have not had much success with getting a test Untangle Server setup.

If would be greatly appreciated if someone could provide quick step-by-step on getting a test server that is accessible on the network, but would not conflict with live production server.

If you added the second network card, and you set it to connect at power on, and you configured it to attach to the same virtual switch as the first adapter...

Well, what may I ask do you expect when you take a switch and plug it into itself?

You don't need a step by step, what you need to do is take a step back and think about what you are trying to accomplish. Untangle in any virtualization platform requires planning. The planning is trivial if you understand both the virtual environment in question, and basic networking practices. If you don't understand both in detail, you need to ask a specific question.

The situation you've described is a common one. If you have an Untangle bridge attached to the same switch twice, even if it's a virtual one, your network will fall. You are correct in assuming only the external interface needs connected to install Untangle and configure modules.

What exactly are you attempting to accomplish here?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

trying to accomplish a Test Server, that can download captive portal and other free plug-in's that won't conflict with other things on the network. The server needs to be able to get to the internet, but I don't care so much about having clients managed by it. I just want a server that I can play with and login via ssh, and psftp to play around with it without conflicting with the live production server that is on the network. That is what I am trying to accomplish. One NIC I would think would be sufficient, but Untangle won't let you install with just one NIC for testing.

One NIC is useless, but you're free to add a second interface and set it to not connect.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

You need to create another Virtual Switch that is not connected to a Physical Adapter. (Or at least not a Physical Adapter that is connect to your production environment network.)
    Go to vSphere Client and go to your server and Configuration tab then Networking under the hardware, then Add Networking (at the top right) Then Select Virtual machine and Next Create a Virtual switch then next, make sure it has no adapters connected then Name it then your done. then you just need to configure one of the 2 nics on your VM of Untangle to go to the new vswitch.

Now if your want you can create some test VM and connect there nics to your new vswitch and they will be connect to your VM untangle
    Last edited by Catsrules; 09-19-2011 at 11:53 AM.