Master Untangler

Default Dimension C521 hangs at startup

I have a Dell Dimension C521 with an AMD Athlon that I loaded UT 9 on without any problems. I am using the onboard NIC and added an Intel PCIe NIC. Everything was detected and loaded fine. BIOS was updated to latest version - even though it was from 2007. RAM is at 2GB.

However, when I restart it *may* hang at around 20% on the UI progress bar. No error messages - just stuck - only way out is the power button. When I restart it *may* hang again or it *may not* hang. I don't see any pattern. When it is up the operation is normal and I have updated to v9.02 and loaded the Lite package.

I have been reluctant to deploy this box since it is being temperamental. This was to go to a clients satellite office.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting? Anybody else deployed one of these?

Master Untangler

Update:
    Downloaded new UT v9.02 from Source Forge and verified image with MD5. Burned ISO to CD and installed UT on a different system without problems.

Decided to reinstall on this problematic C521 from the new CD. Installation stalls without error messages at 50% progress on "Starting up the partitioner".

Any thoughts? Hard drive problems (have not tested)?

Hit the BIOS up and make sure you aren't running the SATA controller in AHCI mode. You need to use IDE emulation. Same deal with some SATA controllers and SATA CD-ROMs, IDE is more stable on install.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Checked the BIOS. Only two settings on the SATA controller - Off and On. Seems like On would be the right choice here.

Replaced Samsung hard drive with WD. Installed UT fine. On first reboot system hung at 33%. On second reboot it hung closed to 20%.

Just about ready to give it up and get something that will really work with UT. Already wasted more time than system is worth.....
    Last edited by itcinc; 09-08-2011 at 09:32 PM.