Question Installation completes ok, setup doesn't come up...

Greeting,

My professor uses an old box to run untangle and it runs great. The class had some servers donated and I tried to use one of those servers to install Untangle with the purpose of replacing the old untangle box.

I downloaded untangle and burned it to a cd. The installation was easy to follow and it looked like all went well. Once completed the server re-started and once untangle loaded up the selection screen apears, but the setup wizzard does not.

I can chose to get to the terminal or any of the other choices, but when I click on the "Launch Administration" nothing happens. I left it over night to see if maybe something was still trying to load, but it still not responding.

I've ran the installation several times and I'm still getting the same issue. I installed untangle on another box and all was install and the setup wizard came up. Now I'm really stumpped...

Here is the server info:

IBM xSeries 335 Type 8676
    2 - Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz / 533Mhz FSB
    4 GB DDR PC2100
    2 - 73.4 GB SCSI HDD\
    Dual integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

All help is welcome and I want to thank you for your help in advance.

Martin

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mtrinidad View Post
    Greeting,

My professor uses an old box to run untangle and it runs great. The class had some servers donated and I tried to use one of those servers to install Untangle with the purpose of replacing the old untangle box.

I downloaded untangle and burned it to a cd. The installation was easy to follow and it looked like all went well. Once completed the server re-started and once untangle loaded up the selection screen apears, but the setup wizzard does not.

I can chose to get to the terminal or any of the other choices, but when I click on the "Launch Administration" nothing happens. I left it over night to see if maybe something was still trying to load, but it still not responding.

I've ran the installation several times and I'm still getting the same issue. I installed untangle on another box and all was install and the setup wizard came up. Now I'm really stumpped...

Here is the server info:

IBM xSeries 335 Type 8676
    2 - Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz / 533Mhz FSB
    4 GB DDR PC2100
    2 - 73.4 GB SCSI HDD\
    Dual integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

All help is welcome and I want to thank you for your help in advance.

Martin
    Odd I have installed Untangle on that exact machine without any issues. Allthough it never went to production everything installed just fine. If you can get to the terminal take a look at some of the logs.

Default Problem solved

AdamB,

Thank you again for your help. I did as you had adviced and I did not see anything that would lead me to narrow the issue.

I decided to nuke the drives and re-install and also remove the RAID . This time it worked like a charm. I can't believe that the RAID would prevent me from running untangle. I'm gonna run some test to rule out the RAID being the culprit...

Martin

Linux + SoftRAID controllers = Problem

Always been that way, always will be that way. What RAID controller are you using?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

sky-knight,

The IBM xSeries 335 server cpmes with a built-in raid controller that will support mirroring only. i was hopping to use that to create redundacy.

Martin

Yes, and what is it? "Built-In" doesn't answer the question. The details on that server from IBM are so sparse I'd never buy the darn thing.

From the looks of it, and the price associated I'm going to assume it's an integrated Intel fake-RAID controller.

Those controllers don't work with Linux. Period. You can use them as SATA controllers, but from there Linux expects you to configure the OS to do soft-RAID. Which oddly enough is considerably more reliable than the fakeRAID systems configure anyway. That said, it won't work with Untangle. Configuring md to perform an OS level mirror is possible with Untangle, but it isn't supported.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com