Thread: var used space

Untangler

Default var used space

Hello.

I'm having problems with used disk space on /var.

Have a look, please:
    Code:
     ~ # df -h                                                                                                                                   [root @ hyperion]
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1             327M  117M  193M  38% /
    tmpfs                 695M     0  695M   0% /lib/init/rw
    udev                   10M  640K  9.4M   7% /dev
    tmpfs                 695M     0  695M   0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda9             137G  193M  130G   1% /home
    /dev/sda8             373M   18M  336M   6% /tmp
    /dev/sda5             4.6G  1.3G  3.1G  30% /usr
    /dev/sda6             2.8G  2.4G  285M  90% /var
    root@hyperion#                                                                                                                                              ~ # cd /var                                                                                                                                 [root @ hyperion]
    root@hyperion#                                                                                                                                              /var # du -h | grep G                                                                                                                       [root @ hyperion]
    1.4G	./lib/postgresql/8.3/main/base/16387
    1.4G	./lib/postgresql/8.3/main/base
    1.8G	./lib/postgresql/8.3/main
    1.8G	./lib/postgresql/8.3
    1.8G	./lib/postgresql
    1.9G	./lib
    2.3G	.
    root@hyperion#                                                                                                                                              /var #                                                                                                                                      [root @hyperion]
    Is this normal?

Master Untangler

I would be checking your log sizes in /var/log

it's not normal. You did an expert mode install and chose these file system sizes.

Re-install, with the default installation.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    it's not normal. You did an expert mode install and chose these file system sizes.

Re-install, with the default installation.
    As a matter of fact, I did not do an expert mode install. So you think that the var partition is too small.

Do you think changing partition size with something like gparted will work? It should.

I still do not understand why is postgres so big.
    Last edited by shukalo83; 09-23-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shukalo83 View Post
    As a matter of fact, I did not do an expert mode install. So you think that the var partition is too small.
    Well, the evidence you posted directly contradicts you. If you'd just done the normal installation, you'd have a 80GB / partition and an /extra partition of the remaining disk.

Quote Originally Posted by shukalo83 View Post
    Do you think changing partition size with something like gparted will work? It should.

I still do not understand why is postgres so big.
    If you don't have support, you can do whatever you like. Most of the storage will be in the /var directory. If you want this box to be supported by us, you must re-install.

Your box is retaining data on *every* connection made through it for the length of time specified in your reports. That takes space.

I'd recommend re-installing and choosing the default installation procedure.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

Thank you mrunkel.