Untanglit

Default Web interface not working

Hello,

In the past two days, Untangle decides to stop responding to the Web administrator login page from another computer. Everything else works.

When I restart the unit, I can get to the administrator login page from another computer.

Charter internet > netgear VPN > untangle > HP switch > workstations/Servers

The Untangle box is Untangle Appliances UT-NG 50 with about 20 users.
    Untangle is at 9 version.

Just wondering whats going on here.

Thanks,

I'm not sure how the forum guidelines affect this, but it needs said for clarity. This is not an attempt to solicit. These forums have strict rules that prevent resellers from spamming them with their products.

Nexgen Appliances, LLC; which is the source of the NG series hardware you've purchased, is not Untangle, INC. We are two very different companies. These forums aren't for NG series product support.

Now, that being said, your issue appears to be software related, and my guess is you didn't install the attack blocker module. Having the UVM crash and taking out the admin page, or having the LAN port DOS'd to the point of being useless, is quite common if the software on the device isn't configured properly.

Please make sure you have the attack blocker module installed, and if you do, check its logs and investigate any machines that have a reputation score 80 or more.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-06-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

First, welcome to the forums. Second, unable to follow your original question(s).
    Are you able to login from directly from that box (keyboard, mouse, and monitor)?
    When you state, everything else works, meaning, is it still filtering things? Reason I ask, just because it is passing traffic doesn't mean that it is working. There are times it will pass the traffic (wire to wire) and not filter anything.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

A fair question Tony, because I've been getting calls lately on this platform such that due to some insanity in the process of upgrading from 8.1.1 to 9.0.2 the UVM just doesn't start anymore. The OS is ok, but the UVM is hosed. I've been deploying a fresh 9.0.2 image manually in these cases. And by hosed I mean it doesn't run, start commands against the service complete without errors in less than a second, and the same for a stop request. Nothing loading there...

I suppose I should get get the 9.0.2 image MADE so we're shipping them current to solve that problem at the source. But I'd sure love to figure out what is causing the failure to begin with.

But this doesn't appear to be situation here. This UVM is "working" then "doesn't". If the upgrade breaks a box, it breaks a box, it doesn't sort of work, it simply doesn't work.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Hello,

I am logging directly on the box. Filtering and AD blocking is working just fine. but, when I go to a computer and type the ip to the box, the administrator login page does not show up and it just times out. If I reset the box, the page will work, but then later it will stop.

Is there any logs that I can look at?

That sounds like your LAN port is getting dos'd off the network by a bug.

Use the console on the server, log into the device when the problem is happening, pull up the session viewer and take a look at your list. You'll likely find an address or two that are spamming sessions all over the place.

The attack blocker logs will also indicate problem PCs via high reputation scores. Again, if you don't have the attack blocker installed, install it.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-06-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Hello,

The UVM still does not work remotely. I even did a clean install of 9.0.2 and it still work for awhile then it stops. It will not work until I reboot it. The sessions are very low. Also, I have attack blocker installed and there are no logs..

Any ideas?

Untanglit

Also, is it possible to get untangle to restart itself doing the night?

Untanglit

Talking

Hello,

After few days, attack blocker is working and blocking sessions and the login page is working also.

Thanks,