Thread: No rack policy?

Master Untangler

Default No rack policy?

I have a bunch of UT's in the field that were installed years ago and have self-upgraded over the years to 9.0.2. In these boxes I can access Policy Manager and view the SMTP 'No rack' policy. The More Info button is still present at the top, because I never bought Policy Manager. In the old days I remember unchecking a box in Virus Blocker that said 'Scan outgoing mail'. Nowadays, if I install fresh 9.0.2, I can't find the aforementioned checkbox or see anything when I click on Policy Manager (except the More info button). On Lite systems I thought we were able to add custom "no rack" policies? I thought this was the case before. Could somebody clarify? Or tell me the new way to add 'No rack' policies? Thank you!

The 'scan outgoing mail' option you are thinking of lives in spam blocker.

you can no longer create 'no rack' rules without policy manager. this was removed because you can basically do the same thing with a bypass rule but bypass rules provide better performance.

There is some ancient announcement along these lines but I can't find it now. It was sometime around 7.3 or 7.4
    Here is one thread that talks about it: http://forums.untangle.com/installat...ager-gone.html
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Thanks for the extremely prompt reply dmorris. So If I go to configure -> networking -> advanced -> bypass rules, I can still create a pass rule for an entire subnet such as 192.168.2.0 / 24? If so, that's what I needed. I definitely missed that announcement. Thank you again!
    Last edited by bhackbarth; 10-06-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: wrong ip address

Yes you can, bypass rules are not quite as flexible as policies. But, the free parts of the policy manager didn't grant you any more granularity.

Except now you have the added benefit of that traffic simply not being handled by the Untangle software, it's only handed by the kernel. Which as, dmorris pointed out, grants significant performance benefits.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com