Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I say
    Its a design rule, network equipment (routes, ap, switches), network printers, and servers must have a fixed ip address (and document it)
    But you can use your dhcp if you like. (and pray for never this service fall)
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    I say
    Its a design rule, network equipment (routes, ap, switches), network printers, and servers must have a fixed ip address (and document it)
    But you can use your dhcp if you like. (and pray for never this service fall)
    The only things in a v6 network that aren't DHCP are router interfaces. All other devices are self addressed, and configured via router adverts, and DNS does the resource location. Which is why DNSSec is so darned important.

Furthermore, the logic that DHCP is all important is lost in your configuration. If DHCP as a service dies, all the workstations all fall off the network when their leases expire. When this happens, it doesn't matter that your servers aren't online, because the clients aren't online either.

Static IP addressing is going away with v4, unless you want to loose your sanity.

I'm not saying static isn't good, I've got a fair bit of that out there. And certain services like DNS servers need to be static. But for Untangle? It really doesn't matter. UT bridges simply need a configuration to get online. The IP only needs to be "static" when port forwards terminate on Untangle, and to save yourself the pain of figuring out where the web UI went.

My point is static configuration is not a "best practice". It's simply a tradition, and one that is going to get many in trouble relatively soon.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12