Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    It isn't that they don't work, it's that they are cheap! If you have a good RTL card, it works fine. We have a new appliance based on them. They aren't as quick as the Intels, but they work.

There are just some really freaking cheap cards out there that do stupid crap. And there are even more cheap PCI busses out there that do even more stupid crap.

I chant "Go Intel or go home" because an Intel interface, on an Intel PCI bus, powered by an Intel processor, ALWAYS works. If it doesn't work, it will work soon, because Intel will make it work.

It's really nice to not be in that mode where you're stuck.

As for what's up here, I have no experience with KVM. You do want to generally use an e1000 emulated nic with an Untangle VM. At least that's worked the best in VMWare.

You need to try and figure out if the VM is really loosing connectivity, or the host is loosing connectivity. I've had NICs, even Intel ones, shut off when the bus was saturated, it causes all sorts of strange things to happen.
    The mobo for the system where I have the issue is an Intel mobo, integrated intel nic card. We tried another 10/100 realtek cards, but those couldn't set "no negotiation" and fix the speed. The intel e1000 also had issues talking to a Cisco switch on auto, but we could set it at a fixed speed.

right now we are using a RTL8169 based card for the internal network.

Master Untangler

When this is happening are there are any errors of any type on any of your interfaces? Check both the host machine and your untangle guests network adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    When this is happening are there are any errors of any type on any of your interfaces? Check both the host machine and your untangle guests network adapters.
    Hello.

This happened again. I tried looking at dmesg and no strange messages. The untangle guest was still up, I could access it on the virtual console, but without any network connectivity.

On the host (and other virtuals) side, what we saw is tying to ping the untangle guest interfaces, could not resolve its mac address. (it appeared as 192.168.1.1. at <incomplete>.). Other virtuals kept working with no issues.

We then started a plain opensuse install on a guest system to act as a router instead of the untangle system. We used 11.4, acting as a dns server, and nat router, configured with one "virtio" nic card, and a pcnet32 lance amd card. So far, it has ran for 4 days with no issues.

I guess we tried using that combination with untangle, but it didn't work. If I remember correctly, the virtio nic was not recognized. Can it be so?. Now the untangle guess is off.

This is the pcnet32 driver:

# modinfo pcnet32
    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop/kernel/drivers/net/pcnet32.ko
    license: GPL
    description: Driver for PCnet32 and PCnetPCI based ethercards
    author: Thomas Bogendoerfer
    srcversion: ABBD126DB646898EFFEAA89

# modinfo virtio_net
    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop/kernel/drivers/net/virtio_net.ko
    license: GPL
    description: Virtio network driver
    srcversion: 865F181D5FE6E2FEDC337F9

I know the untangle kernel seems older, but could it be an issue when it comes to drivers?

Edit: clarified what didn't work with untangle + virtio.
    Last edited by un_yorugua; 12-05-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12